New. Need to poll Maya and Houdini users. Which Linux Dist?

Johno VFX

Reaction score
Credits
Which dist works well for both Maya and Houdini. Doing a new install for a new system build with a new AMD Threadripper CPU 2950x w 16 cores on an x399 mobo. I searched YT videos. Lots of vague videos. Will Mint work for both, Centos? Something else?

G'day @Johno VFX and welcome to linux.org :)

You may need to explain to some of us, myself included, just what Maya and Houdini are?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@wizardfromoz : Maya and Houdini are professional, proprietary/non-free 3D modelling/animation software.

I don't know if Maya and Houdini have native Linux builds. But if they do - it might be worth consulting their communities and see what Linux distros and system specs are recommended by them.

G'day @Johno VFX and welcome to linux.org :)

You may need to explain to some of us, myself included, just what Maya and Houdini are?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
They are both software for creating 3D animation and visual effects for movies at studios like Disney, Dreamworks, etc., for making anything from blockbuster size movies to small indie movies. Users of either software may be using it at their studio, or at their school, for either software. Just searching around more, looks like it might be either Mint, Cent OS, or possibly Opensuse.

Staff online

Members online