New Member Saying Hi!

Bayou Bengal

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings,

First post, I'm a brand new member. I found this fine forum through a Start Page search, and I was very impressed with the quality of the replies and the forum layout. I am a Mint Cinnamon user, currently 18.2, and I've been using this distro since about 6 months before the release of Win 10. This is not my first foray into Linux, tried it over 12 years ago, it was Mint Cinnamon back then but I don't remember the release version. I never got into it much then, work kept me too busy. This time I gave it a real effort and found out I didn't need to give it much effort. I dual boot 4 computers with Linux and Windows 7, but I have to admit I don't use windows anymore. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi @Bayou Bengal, and welcome to the party! Jump in with both feet, and never mind the alligators! :eek::D

(You're used to those, right? :D)
Hi atanere! Yes we are used to "those" down here. Matter of fact we'll eat them as fast as they'll eat us! :eek:

Sounds like you've been down here before, or you live close. The mud bugs are the best, but I have to confess that fried gator tail is one of my favorites too. I't mandatory on the weekend that LSU and Floriduh play!:D

Yeah, I lived down there for a brief time, just a few months really... many long years ago. But I had a great time. I lived in LaPlace and Metarie for a bit, and had a job that took me across Lake Ponchartrain to Mandeville every day. I'm getting old now and not sure I could handle the heat down there... whew! Hot and humid! :eek:

Yeah, I lived down there for a brief time, just a few months really... many long years ago. But I had a great time. I lived in LaPlace and Metarie for a bit, and had a job that took me across Lake Pontchartrain to Mandeville every day. I'm getting old now and not sure I could handle the heat down there... whew! Hot and humid! :eek:
Oh wow! I finished growing up in Metairie! Got my first drivers license in LaPlace in 1970. I live now, just north of the lake in Slidell, 25 miles east of Mandeville. It's a small world!

I am not originally from Louisiana. My dad's job brought us down here in 1969. Yep, I'm gettin' old too.:eek:

Very cool... yes, it is a small world. So you're probably just a wee bit older than me, but not much. I got my driver's license in 1973 (if I'm doing the math right). I honestly don't remember the exact time I lived down there, but I'd guess it was about 1983 or 1984 (or both).

Congratulations on your retirement! That's my next goal, but its still over 2 years away to get all the company benefits that I can, especially the group healthcare plan. It feels like forever, but time keeps going faster and faster, so I know it won't be long really.

Go for that group healthcare plan, atanere, and welcome @Bayou Bengal :)

Hope you did not cop a lot of fallout from the hurricanes either side of you?

I come up on 60 in 12 days time, so birthday cake please.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is one of my Faves (& I can hear atanere laughing here, because he knows I run 50 - 60 Linux at a time).

Enjoy the community.

Wizard
... & it's Friday here, so avagudweegend.

Thank you for the welcome guys! Yes, Wizard, I just crossed my 62nd back in July. Maybe Rob needs to find a birthday cake smilie?:D Time flies when you're having fun! We were lucky with the storms. I live just north of the New Orleans area, so the worst we got was some feeder bands from Harvey. Irma stayed well east of us, and Jose for a brief while had us concerned. Jose though looks to be destined to stay in the Atlantic.

That's great news for you & yours. I am glad. We can get Category 4 and Cat 5 cyclones (spin opposite direction) in my home state of Queensland, any season. Storm season is October through May, although the cyclones are usually considerably north of where I live,

Seems like a bunch of us contemporaries are cropping up here, we might have to form a Seniors club.

Later

Wiz

Hey bayou welcome! Iv only been on the forum a short time but yeah it's great with constructive help and perspectives. If anything goes wrong blame wizard during Aussie hours and atanare during American hours...!

Yeah thanks Ed (not), where did you say you live again? :mad:

Lol

Enjoy

That's great news for you & yours. I am glad. We can get Category 4 and Cat 5 cyclones (spin opposite direction) in my home state of Queensland, any season. Storm season is October through May, although the cyclones are usually considerably north of where I live,

Seems like a bunch of us contemporaries are cropping up here, we might have to form a Seniors club.

Later

Wiz

I find that interesting that the storms spin clockwise south of the equator, or backwards as we say in Cajun land. Don't y'all drive on the wrong side of the road too? :D Just as we thought we could relax, Jose is going to go up the east coast but stay out in the Atlantic, an new depression pops up of the African coast, 96L. :eek: Will be watching that one for a week too. I don't trust spaghetti plots when storms are that far off.

Members online