New Linux user from NYC

Read my post again,

My bad. I'll leave it as a record of my bad. (I'm well into my sixth glass of wine today.) I'm not sure how I missed it, but it's probably wine related.

According to google kubunut is not maintained by the offical group but does that mean it still has the same features as the official ubunut as the code is open source so it can be added in? I was thinking about nither getting kubunut cause i like the KDE thing but also cause its ubunut and that means that theirs a larger community their. Also im wondering what are your ideas on deepin. I tried it and liked it a lot but it seems like theirs no community for it and that it might be a spyware

That is true. Previously ALL of the *buntu flavours were financially supported by Canonical. A few years ago, they dropped Kubuntu and another company started sponsoring them.

But Ubuntu will always form the underpinnings of Kubuntu.

Regarding Deepin - I have no idea, I’ve never used it. I’ve been with Debian for many years now! But some of the seasoned distro hoppers here might know about it!

My bad. I'll leave it as a record of my bad. (I'm well into my sixth glass of wine today.) I'm not sure how I missed it, but it's probably wine related.
No probs!! Beer/wine goggles would explain it!! Ha ha!!

No probs!! Beer/wine goggles would explain it!! Ha ha!!

I am now on my 7th glass. I have a few bottles of an absolutely delightful blueberry wine, made with wild Maine blueberries. I'm pretty sure I need to stop 'helping' soon.

Let me get this straight, their are three mains types of linux debian, fedorra and arch based, each of these lead to their own distos and each of these distos have various versions based off the GUI. Besides GUI their is nothing different. Is this correct?

their are three mains types of linux

5 at least - Debian and Debian-based (includes Ubuntu, Linux Mint), RPM (Redhat Package Management) includes Fedora and centOS and Mageia, Arch and Arch-based includes Manjaro, Gentoo (includes Sabayon and Calculate), Slackware (includes Puppy, Porteus, Salix), and so on.

Wikipedia have this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Confusing? ;)

Besides GUI their is nothing different. Is this correct?

No.

The command line structure can vary - many of the commands are shared throughout, but others are individual to the "Family" they come from, often related to the package management system they use.

There are also different Shells that can be used - Bash, zsh, Korn, &c - but these are more of an individual LInux Distribution choice rather than Family-based.

These are questions perhaps better asked and answered in our Support sections rather than in a Member Introduction, but it is good that you are asking these questions.

Cheers

Wizard

hese are questions perhaps better asked and answered in our Support sections
What support section are you talking about?? I would love to see other questions posted cause i got so many and i know nobody likes repeating themselves too many times. Thanks for clarifying!! If i want to learn about a shell bash seems to be the one to learn right, cause all the beginner distcos use it.

Welcome aboard, calm waters ahead. Enjoy the linux cruise. Many able hands to assist when needed.

What support section are you talking about??

At the top of your page, left-hand side is a menu item "Forums". If you wish to stay on this page, right-click that and open in new Tab, and you will see all the sub-forums available. Many of them are Support.

If you need help choosing a Linux Distro, or if you have chosen one and need help installing, pick Getting Started.

Have a wander, and a lot of it will become self-explanatory. Don't get lost (like Jumanji) and not come out for 20 years unless you carry a razor :)

Wiz

Welcome to the forums ex4722!

I've yet to play with it. I read a write-up about it just recently, on this forum, and I think it may have been written by you. You think highly of it! I'll have to give it a shot. I use MultiBootUSB - http://multibootusb.org which is not as easy as the Ventoy drag and drop.
i've had a look at multi boot and it was clear as mud ; probably due to the calibre of my brain. Ventoy is just a case of using their script to format a usb; after that just drag and drop .iso onto the only visible partition you see when its attached to PC. Not all iso's boot. But it will boot for instance the rEFInd iso for usb stick and also grub rescue. Thus it enables fix and rescue stuff to be all in one place.

Of those iso that do boot eg antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso its not possible to get persistence working but it is with some. I did previously get Mint cinnamon working. For that its a case of using another of their script to create a .dat file (previously they used .img) and some minor tweaking of a Ventoy.json file which tells system where stuff is

theres a bit about xfce and tou
Okay thats good to know. My quetion is their a difference besides GUI between ubuntu and Kubuntu and the other variants of ubunut. I saw online that they are not created by the official company so was wondering if they are safe and reliable to use.
Theres a bit on xfce and touches on others : https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/interview-xfce.html

The core of all distro is not maintained by distro developers; it was/is by Linus Torvlads "et al" .

With say slackware full install you can switch from xfce , kde, blackbox Desktops. You can assume that if either they are included in distro OR if you search and find them with software installer i.e they are on the distro repo, they are safe

what other wines do you drink apart from Vino Blueberry ? eg Dornfelder

what other wines do you drink apart from Vino Blueberry ? eg Dornfelder

Other than my beloved blueberry wine, I'm mostly a red wine fan, not caring for the white wines. From there, I'm not actually too picky and pick different bottles up. If I find one I like, I buy a few more and move along. I try not to spend more than $50 on a bottle and just keep exploring.

I was a rum drinker, but I've been going at the wines pretty hard for the past year and a half, maybe two years.

Ventoy is just a case of using their script to format a usb; after that just drag and drop .iso onto the only visible partition you see when its attached to PC.

I'll try to get time to play with it this coming week. I've been meaning to do so for quite a while now. I'm more a VM kinda guy, but it'll be good to know how to use the tool.

Does VM work with intel? Virtual box hates me and i was wondering if VMware would work. I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @3.30 GHz

I use VirtualBox. It should work just fine on your i5. I was just recently doing so on a slightly faster (I think) i5. I think it was 3.8 GHz. VMWare should also work just fine.

If you're having VirtualBox issues, start a thread asking about it and we'll see if we can get you sorted.

I am now on my 7th glass. I have a few bottles of an absolutely delightful blueberry wine, made with wild Maine blueberries. I'm pretty sure I need to stop 'helping' soon.
Hey - I like wild Maine blueberries too! :)

Hey - I like wild Maine blueberries too! :)

I previously searched the forum for "Maine" and saw your intro post. I almost responded, but I didn't want to necro an old post. You're from Down East.

My house is a long, long ways from you - outside of Rangeley. I'm 'from away', but I've resided in Maine for more than a decade and came here for prep school many, many years ago. I got lucky and retired early, moving to Maine as a result.

Hi guys! I got a small issue but im not sure if im supposed to start a new thread for such a small issue so ill just ask here. I started following a ubunut tutorial and one of the lessons were about the unity tweak tool and how if you navigate to computer/usr/share/application you can find all the desktop and i see that the files but im confused cause when the guy opened them he launched a app but for some reason when i did i got a text editor file that had some random stuff on it. Could be because his version is older than mine or am i doing something wrong. Here is the link for it
. Its at around 1;00;42 that he shows this thing.