New linux user and install help please

masterroaches

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install a dual boot of linux and windows on my new pc. I thought I could simply install linux on my partitions and my computer would be able to select between linux and windows. I'm stuck in linux. Can somebody help me?

ok..we can fix some things but we are not clairvoyant......t inefficient information which distribution and build and what is your computer Make,& Model number how did you try to install Linux and what happend [did you use a how to guide]

and dont be so impatient, we are all volunteers spread across all time zones each with our own skills, so it may take a while for some members to answer you

hp omen gt12-0164. i installed the latest version of pop os 21.04. I installed linux using a flash drive and i selected my partitions and installed to the boot, root and home partitions. Now when I start my computer it automatically skips my bios and goes right into linux.

If you enter in the BIOS and go to the boot menu, can you see an option for "Windows bootloader" or something similar?

hp omen gt12-0164
generally speaking
the Realteck wi-fi is likely to cause problems
the G-force graphics may cause problems
in my opinion Pop is not the best linux unless your loading it on to a system76 product for which it is specifically designed.
you may need to turn off windows fast boot and then re-boot to install.
as your box is bang up to date you would be better looking at a distribution with the latest kernel and drivers built in

Bwiz

in the bios [it may not be on , but with W10 it is usualy

i just wanted a dual boot of linux and windows.... how do i set that up?
Let's go step by step: can you see Windows Bootloader in the BIOS' boot menu(*) or not? You need to find out first whether or not your Windows OS installation is still able to boot.

(*) Or boot device list, or something of the like --each manufacturer has its own jargon.

ok if your not bothered with which linux, you know how to download an iso file and burn it to pendrive...yes?
then i will suggest you download MX linux with AHS and make a bootable pendrive..

okay lets switch linuxes then. ill work on making a bootable flashdrive and we'll see if we can get my computer to recognize it even.

it just loads right into linux.
Ahhh different problem dose the linux install open and run OK if yes then no need to reinstall another version, its a boot menu issue,

I will call on @stan , @wizardfromoz @JasKinasis for help [when they are available] they understand this problem better than I
{i am halfway certain now its a bootloader error]

nope. stuck without access to bios. tried hitting escape repeatedly. just an omen screen then a weird command prompt then pop os. apparently its not dual boot friendly operating system and i didnt look into it far enough and ill have to take the computer back to best buy. i am really interesting in learning linux and want to run conan exiles from it. that would be awesome if i never had to use windows ever again. can we try to like install a different linux or something or will it be impossible since i can't boot from a flash drive now?

OK yes you can start again, look in the instructions that came with your computer and find out which is the short boot menu key [often F10 but could be F12 or Del key]
switch off your computer,put the pendrive in, switch on whist jiggling the key at the same time, scroll down and highlight usb and enter, the new iso should start to load to ram for testing, if your happy with it double click the install button, and follow the instructions, when it comes to disc management you will have several options, use whole disc..WARNING this will distroy windows compleatly, load alongside and a new one to replace pop, make your selection and enter [this bit may take some time to run] you should be asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box to say yes and enter, then let it install
its now 11-30 pm in the uk ..time for old wizards to rest their bones.. goodnight

I thought I could simply install linux on my partitions and my computer would be able to select between linux and windows.
i selected my partitions and installed to the boot, root and home partitions.
Your wording here concerns me, but it's easy for a newbie to not be quite clear with terms. You never said you "created partitions"... only that you selected them during your install. You might be okay if you saw (and chose) a selection similar to "install alongside Windows." But I wonder if you may have installed Pop_OS into your existing Windows partitions... erasing Windows in the process. @gvisoc may have been thinking the same thing... trying to get you to see if Windows Boot Manager was listed in BIOS, and if it would boot.

I've not used Pop_OS before, but I've learned this about it... it uses systemd-boot for a bootloader instead of GRUB. You may need someone familiar with systemd-boot, so be patient for other helpers to find this thread. I think most of us here only use the GRUB bootloader, so our "usual solutions" won't help you if this is the problem.

I doubt that Pop_OS has taken total control of your computer. You should still be able to get to BIOS or your Boot Menu to try loading (and installing) another Linux distro... keep trying. Read your manual, as @brickwizard suggests. But if you aren't careful about your partitioning, you could end up with both a new distro and Pop_OS... and maybe Windows too, if it's still there.

If you can get into your BIOS settings (also called UEFI settings)... there may be an option there to do a Windows Recovery. If so, you may can restore your computer to the way it was when you got it from Best Buy (if you want to keep Windows). Or you may can get Best Buy to help you, but it may cost you some cash. The Recovery may delete your Pop_OS.

Sorry you've had so much trouble, but the learning experience is valuable too. ;)

Staff online