New Linux install unaccessable

ChrisDB

Reaction score
Credits
I'm currently on WIndows 10, trying to install Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS from a flash drive. I went through all the tutorial steps, the problem arrives when I try to boot it. After I press F12 to choose which device to boot from, the mouse works fine. But once I boot from the flash drive and I get to the screen asking me how I'd like to set up Linux, my mouse and keyboard's lights go off and are non responsive. Other USB ports yield the same result. Also this somehow messed with the time settings on windows, which now thinks its 8 hours past the actual time.
Other mice and keyboards also don't work.

G'day @ChrisDB and welcome to linux.org :)

On the clock issue -

Operating systems store and retrieve the time in the hardware clock located on your motherboard so that it can keep track of the time even when the system does not have power. Most operating systems (Linux/Unix/Mac) store the time on the hardware clock as UTC by default, though some systems (notably Microsoft Windows) store the time on the hardware clock as the 'local' time. This causes problems in a dual boot system if both systems view the hardware clock differently.

The advantage of having the hardware clock as UTC is that you don't need to change the hardware clock when moving between timezones or when Daylight Savings Time (DST) begins or ends as UTC does not have DST or timezone offsets.

Changing Linux to use local time is easier and more reliable than changing Windows to use UTC, so dual-boot Linux/Windows systems tend to use local time.

Alternatively if you, from Windows, reset it to use UTC, you will have no problems, your call.

With the install issue -

Are you able to get to a Desktop on the Live Ubuntu, that gives you an option to start the Installer (or not start it)?

This might involve choosing to Try Ubuntu.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the well written response. After booting up windows the next day the clock was back to normal. The first few times, I was not able to get to the desktop as I was stuck at the screen asking me to choose between trying or installing linux. On later attempts it just shows me straight to the linux destop, I'm assuming it has defaulted to 'try'. Either way, I never chose either, as I had no way of giving input.

What brand and model of computer, Chris?

Wizard

8 gb ddr3 ram, AMD FX 8350 8 core processor 4 ghz, gigabyte 970a-ds3p motherboard, 1 tb hgst hts721010a9e630 hdd, nvidia geforce gtx 950

That's good on the specs, Chris (and thanks), but is there a brand and model number, or is it home-built/custom-built?

Certain brands and models can be problematic under Linux (manufacturing issues, not Linux's fault), and if we know, we can pin down certain things.

Are the keyboard and mouse working OK under Windows?

Cheers

Wizard

Regarding the USB devices problems you have - I've seen this with Windows as well. The reason is that Ubuntu doesn't support this particular hardware, especially if the hardware requires special drivers. Or, in Windows their driver was meant for an older version of Windows and it doesn't work in the newer one. Years ago I had the same problem with a Logitech mouse and keyboard - they didn't work with Windows 7 at all because their driver was written for XP. So ever since I'm using A4Tech mouse and keyboard and never had that problem again - both work quite fine with Windows7+ and with Linux.

Members online

Latest posts