New Laptop

Oroshi

Reaction score
Credits
Hello folks,

I am aware of some linux may not well function with some of laptop.

I am currently core duo with 6GB RAM acer aspire laptop, the battery kept go flat because of old laptop. I had a macbook but gave it to my daughter as I have washed my hand from apple product.

I had i7 Sony vaio but motherboard had died 6 months ago, so it only left i can use ace. Works fine but not very fast.

Enough about existing laptop.

I am looking for a brand new shine laptop at the end of this year (due to spending on my home extension). I am looking for up to about £800 - £1300. I wonder is Dell G3 any good with Linux operating system especially Arch. Possible AMD Ryzen 7 or i7 maybe i9.

Advise would be appreciate. :)

G'day @Oroshi and welcome to linux.org :)

I am running 56 Linux on a Dell Inspiron 5770, i7 AMD and in my experience the Dells are very Linux-friendly. I have used Acers, HP, Asus, Compaq, keep coming back to Dell.

On Arch, I don't run it currently, although I had it on a Virtual Machine (Virtualbox) on an Arch-based Distro called Swagarch. However I do run Manjaro, Arcolinux, Archman and other Arch-based Distros on this rig and they all run fine.

Hope this helps

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I posted this response on another thread, but it applies here too. About six months ago I went in search of a linux laptop on a budget. I got
- Lenovo Thinkpad (i5, 8gb RAM, 256 hdd) - cost was ~$200
- upgraded hdd to a 550gb SSD (did the upgrade myself)
total cost was just north of $300
I run MATE linux on it and it works very well indeed.

keith

I would look at either a System76 or Lenovo laptop, System76 specializes in supporting Linux hardware and Lenovo recently started supporting Linux hardware as well. They both have some nice systems in your price range and my current laptop is a Lenovo Legion which runs Arch.

Cheers for response. I'll shop around for those three manufacture and I can have a look and feel which one I would go for.

This had been a big helpful. My aim is Linux fully support laptop.

Thank you :D

When I buy a new laptop or desktop I never look at Linux hardware compatibility, I just look for what I want and buy it and will figure out the rest later if I run into problems which has never happened. I just thought those two manufacturers were worth mentioning because one I have good experience with and the other because they have been recommended by different youtubers and they seem like a good company contributing to Linux adoption.

Good attitude :)