New laptop Install Challage

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am back with my buddies laptop that is running Vista. He wants me to install some form on Linux OS on it.
It is a Toshiba Notebook, designed for Windows Vista, has an AMD Turion(TM) X2-dual-core mobile RM-70, 2.00 ghz processor, along with 3GB ram and 64 bits OS.

This a huge step up from the Packard Bell I just got working with xubuntu.

I am thinking that probally the latest version of Linux will work great.

My buddy only needs the laptop to internet access, emails and games. He loves playing spider solitare. Anyone know if I am able to load that up after I get the new OS installed?

Looking forward to successfully completing this challenge.

He loves playing spider solitare. Anyone know if I am able to load that up after I get the new OS installed?
Code:
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/lucid/spider/

Hi, I am back with my buddies laptop that is running Vista. He wants me to install some form on Linux OS on it.
It is a Toshiba Notebook, designed for Windows Vista, has an AMD Turion(TM) X2-dual-core mobile RM-70, 2.00 ghz processor, along with 3GB ram and 64 bits OS.

This a huge step up from the Packard Bell I just got working with xubuntu.

I am thinking that probally the latest version of Linux will work great.

My buddy only needs the laptop to internet access, emails and games. He loves playing spider solitare. Anyone know if I am able to load that up after I get the new OS installed?

Looking forward to successfully completing this challenge.

Sounds like that laptop will run about any Linux version you choose. From the Vista era, it also likely has regular old BIOS instead of UEFI, so that makes it less complicated too. Sounds like you're ready to expand your Linux horizons to help out your friend. Good luck!

Cheers

Got everthing installed and working. Yaaa. Now I am trying to download the games. some problems here. Is the above link able to operate in the Linux Mint 18.3 OS?

Not sure about that one, but you could install "Aisle Riot Solitaire" from the Software Manager or Package Manager... it contains MANY versions of solitaire, including Spider.

Cheers

Well that was really easy. Got the old Toshiba notebook up and running with Linux mint 18.3, boots fast, really nice look on the desktop. Put his daughter on the Back ground, Installed all his photos back on the HD. WiFi, hot spot working, and superbonus got sipder solitaire loaded. Just gotta get the printer working next and we got him a great new OS for him. Beats running Visa.

Next old laptop, bring it on. I am ready to bring you back to life. hahah
;):p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

More power to you, Not So Old Carpenter Guy :D seems like you are motoring on eight cylinders.

We'll make a Yogi or a Guru out of you before you know it? Or rather, you will, DIY :)

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts