New Hardware

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Raspberry Pi. I haven't received it yet, but I plan to use Slackware. Having no experience with arm processors, it should be a hoot. I will try to document my journey in this thread. Film at eleven.:rolleyes:

Happy Trails
Paul

it would be interesting to see how you get on. I once had a go to do with EDU 3rd world. I could accept the concept that it helps if a child/student can actually see the motherboard that they are using. i've still got 2 PI's sitting in Ghana . I did find the experience of the cpu capacity similar trying to ride a moped up a 1 in 3 hill though

Have you seen the specs on the pi4? It has come a great distance from It's humble beginnings.

Hey Paul, I have three Pi's here, a 3b, a 3b+ and a Pi 4. Right now the Pi 4 is my local NAS for my LAN, and the two Pi 3b's are just sitting around, just to tinker with, now and then.
FWIW: I had Slackware Current and Slackware Stable running on these things. You should get a kick on setting your Pi up and then running it.

Thanks, mate. I ordered the 4gb version of the Pi 4, so I won't need to use the memory gimmick, I hope. Time will tell. I was looking at the SARpi project web site last night. Some good info there also.
You're welcome-

Hey Paul, I have three Pi's here, a 3b, a 3b+ and a Pi 4. Right now the Pi 4 is my local NAS for my LAN, and the two Pi 3b's are just sitting around, just to tinker with, now and then.
FWIW: I had Slackware Current and Slackware Stable running on these things. You should get a kick on setting your Pi up and then running it.
How much ram is in your pi 4? I ordered the 4gb version.

My Pi 4 is one of the very first units, I ordered a 2 Gig RAM unit, because there were no 4 Gig available. Still, more RAM than I needed, just for a NAS unit. But you never can have too much RAM :)

Ok, here it is dec 6, and I ordered it nov 28, but still no Pi!! WTFO!

I must say that the shipping department that I am waiting on (Amazon!!) seems to be about as effective as a SOUP SANDWICH. It still does not show my Pi having been shipped. Really, nothing after ten days? Good thing I'm not awaiting a heart transplant:p

Well, I finally got the package, and found a slight problem. I had ordered the kit with 2 microhdmi to hdmi cables, and 2 HDMI to VGA adapters. When it arrived, I found that the HDMI ends were all male. OOps! I have female to female HDMI adapters coming sometime next week. Then I may finally get to have some fun with this little gem. It is even smaller than I had thought. should be a real gas to play with.

If you have time could you post a pic of your new gem?
Ok, I was playing around with my old tablet, and took this. The focus isn't the greatest, but it shows just how small it is. I measured the case at 9.3mm long. I can make it disappear into my shirt pocket!

:rolleyes:OOps, I mean 93 Mm. don't know how that decimal point got in there. Must have fat fingered it

Last edited:
out of interest has anybody tried the beagle board or other alternative to PI?

Ok, I was playing around with my old tablet, and took this. The focus isn't the greatest, but it shows just how small it is. I measured the case at 9.3mm long. I can make it disappear into my shirt pocket!View attachment 4873

:rolleyes:OOps, I mean 93 Mm. don't know how that decimal point got in there. Must have fat fingered it
Wow, now that's a small board. Thanks for posting it:-

How's Slackware running on it?

Wow, now that's a small board. Thanks for posting it:-

How's Slackware running on it?
I'm still waiting for the HDMI adapter, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Chomping at the bit!!!!!:)

I'm still waiting for the HDMI adapter, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Chomping at the bit!!!!!:)
I'm not of fond of waiting either.

Shame you don't have a Micro Center close to you.
You could easily pick up a HDMI adapter and be on your way to installing Slackware.

Slackware-current is running great on my new gaming rig that I just build a week ago.

Are you going to be installing 14.2 or current?

I'm not of fond of waiting either.

Shame you don't have a Micro Center close to you.
You could easily pick up a HDMI adapter and be on your way to installing Slackware.

Slackware-current is running great on my new gaming rig that I just build a week ago.

Are you going to be installing 14.2 or current?
I think that I will roll with 14.2. It runs well on the lab computer. In fact I need to do some updates soon. I try to update at least every 10 days. I'm a bit behind on that schedule... back to working 7 days a week. Some day I need to retire!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Happy Trails,
Paul

I think that I will roll with 14.2. It runs well on the lab computer. In fact I need to do some updates soon. I try to update at least every 10 days. I'm a bit behind on that schedule... back to working 7 days a week. Some day I need to retire!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Happy Trails,
Paul
OK, 14.2 it is-:)

When you have time Paul let us know how Slackware runs on your new board.

I hope for you that you can retire soon as it sounds like you work a LOT!

Staff online

Members online