Networking Protocols??

AdmB115

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I was wondering, what are the networking monitoring protocols that Linux uses?

Not to sound blunt but how hard is it to use a search engine but here you go.

Thank you for your response and direction to communication protocols but I was looking specifically for monitoring protocols such as WMI for Windows

Thank you for your response and direction to communication protocols but I was looking specifically for monitoring protocols such as WMI for Windows
You are going to have to explain what WMI is because I don't know what it is even after having found something that explains what it is.

I just booted my Windows virtual machine and it looks like it is used to connect to other computers, you can connect to other computers using the ssh protocol but not sure what functionality you are looking for other than that you want to connect to other systems from your local machine?

Last edited:
WMI is a network monitoring protocol for Windows that monitors resources, software and other aspects of a Windows machine so it can be managed/ monitored remotely

OpenLMI sounds similar in functionaltiy as in what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's for a class where the professor asked us to "present the pros and cons of the monitoring protocols for Windows and Linux." So, I'm trying to figure out where to even start with the Linux portion. I was aware of SSH but I didn't think that was considered a protocol

Ssh is a protocol for remote login which is of no use for what you are looking for. From my experience most GNU/Linux systems are monitored with Nagios for local checks that are run through scripts can be accessed by Nagios by using nrpe. You can setup a system that receives information from other systems and configure those clients to send specific data and then read it from there system that receives all the information. There are probably many different tools and setups to achieve what you are actually looking for.

The frustrating part is how vague the question asked was. It makes it difficult to find answers and the prof. does not like elaborating

The frustrating part is how vague the question asked was. It makes it difficult to find answers and the prof. does not like elaborating
I think what you are looking for as in ways to monitor system data etc. Grafana is one of the more popular ones and then you have plenty of other options that can do the same. And then you would have something like Logstash running on the systems that sends the data to a central server running Grafana but it will depend on the software you are using that receives the collected data.

Last edited:
@AdmB115, regarding the post you deleted. New users can't post URLs for their first five posts. They can, but then a mod has to approve it manually. So, in your case, you hit the reply button and that quoted the URL and so it went into the approval queue. I was actually approving it when you deleted it - which isn't a problem, it's just me explaining what was going on.

New users need approval for their first post and their first five comments will need approval if they contain a URL. Again, this isn't a problem. I'm just taking a minute to explain before I step out for a few hours. By now you should have five posts under your belt and that should no longer be an issue.

And now you know!

Members online