Network Manager Vs. Wicd?

V

Videodrome

I have rarely used Wicd, but I have it running now in Arch. There are some interesting things about it like the terminal/curses optional menu. Also, I have OpenBox with Cairo-Dock and Wicd is an app in the dock. I'm not sure if NetworkManager can be setup in CairoDock that way. I believe Wicd is supposed to use less resources to.

Otherwise, I have used Network Manager many times in LXDE or Xfce. It's performed consistently and runs simply as an applet in the taskbar.

Occasionally, it seems like Wicd has required retries to connect on some public Wifis though. I'm not sure if that is a fluke with the public Wifi or if there is a real performance difference between Wicd and NetworkManager.

I like wicd, thats what I use on my Gentoo system anyways. I use NM on Slackware though. I enjoy both. Doesn't Arch have a special one called Netctl or something? (for systems with systemd that is)

I like wicd, thats what I use on my Gentoo system anyways. I use NM on Slackware though. I enjoy both. Doesn't Arch have a special one called Netctl or something? (for systems with systemd that is)
NetCTL is for manual configuration and non-gui systems. But yes, it can be used instead. I think netCTL is available on non-systemd systems though I am not sure how.

EDIT: NetCTL is not Arch specific for sure. ;) And it is actually very nice when you don't want a GUI (or just a tiling window manager)

Last edited:
Interesting feedback. I was also contemplating a hop to Slackware on my Netbook to see how it runs. Hopefully, it doesn't have to many funky issues with the Broadcom based wireless I have.