Netflix "Super HD" (1080p @ 5800kbits/s) possible on Linux?

Y

Yesyesloud

W8/10 native Netflix client streams videos in 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) @ 5800 kilobits per second.

However, Chrome/Chromium doesn't, irrespective of OS. It's locked to 720p (1280x720) @ 3000kb/s. So, that's about our limit in Linux until patched otherwise.

CTRL+Alt+Shift+D:
kpz3kQF.png

__

CTRL+Alt+Shift+S:
tjgbKNk.png

Netflix is using DRM to restrict its highest quality streams to few devices/applications. 'Tis a shame, dear Netflix developers (in case any of them ever read this).

The thing is... I don't want to reboot into Windows when I plug my laptop to my TV. I just wanna roll Netflix 1080p @ 5800kbps on Linux.

Does anyone know of any workaround/"patch"/whatever achieves this rather simple wish?

Thanks, pals

Last edited:

I wasn't aware of this issue though it has been some time since I used Netflix. Does Firefox work any better? I thought Mozilla was adding DRM HTML5 support to Firefox.

Netflix is keeping most web browsers from streaming more than 720p@3000kbps, server-side, meaning they still need DRM support for playback but won't stream the highest quality.

Detailed client ID is probably used in DRM validation. I hope someone manages to mask that.

Only select software seems to stream 1080p @ 5800kbps. On Android, few devices are allowed to do so (regardless of how high-end), although all use the same app. Crazy stuff.

Let me know if you have any luck with that, windows shouldn't be my main Netflix OS.

Members online