Need to Download and Install a Specific OEL7 kernel - 3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64

dbaDavid

Reaction score
Credits
Hey, Team -

I have an app that needs a specific dot release of Oracle Linux 7, which is 3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64. Where can I get this kernel from? I'm using Virtualbox to build Lunix VMs. I'm currently running 3.10.0-1062.1.2.el7.x86_64 and need to either downgrade or create a new VM running 3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64.

It's a test bed I'm building. I'm a retires Navy guy who's learning this stuff on my own at home. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot to help you find it.
Also, if that src.rpm is the tar file that I think it is you will have to compile the kernel.

Thanks for this great post. I did a lot of reading on yum and repositories last night. I should be able to quickly find out how to compile a kernel from a src.rpm. Based on my reading, I'm considering creating a VM that I can use to download historical repositories to. Thanks for the guidance. It's much appreciated.

Quick question: Can't I just add definitions for other repositories (archived or otherwise) directly to my VMs and gain YUM access directly from my VMs to the kernels, packages, etc I'm interested in? During my research of bouncing between major and minor kernel releases, it appears that moving between minor releases is a straight forward process when you have direct access from your VMs to the repositories that contain the content you want. Is it okay and recommended to define and enable these other repositories within my VMs?

Yes you can enable other repo's as long as they are specific to your distribution and are .rpm packages.

Members online