Need some help!

Ellelle06

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! I am very new to Linux. My total experience to date has been taking my old Panasonic Toughbook CF-50 (about 18 years old!) to Free Geek to have Windows XP replaced with a Linux operating system. With the help of some of the Wednesday night volunteers, we loaded Lubuntu (?) because it is a "lighter" operating system. This was some time ago, and since then, I have not used the laptop very much. I now notice that this version (Ubuntu 14.04.5 -see attachments) is very much out of date. I was hoping someone could help me (Free Geek is now closed due to Covid-19) - maybe virtually? Thanks!

Attachments

• Computer2.jpeg
    Computer2.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 308
  • laptop1.jpeg
    laptop1.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

It's 14.04.5 LTS

LTS stands for Long Term Support.

14.04.5 LTS is still alive - until April 2022.

You could leave it alone for the moment. You can upgrade from one LTS to the next LTS e.g. https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-lts-update-dist-upgrade/

Normally you upgrade from one to the next and do not jump releases.

The last release of Lubuntu has aa LXQt desktop, not LXDE - so 20.04 LTS might be better with a fresh install.

As arochester suggests, just run it. Newer is not necessarily better, especially in older machines.

Could you go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), type in
Code:
lspci
and post output, please.
Also, tell us your intended use of the old LG.

salut Ellelle06,

Pour votre problème de système d'exploitation, je vous conseille de sauvegarder vos données c'est de transmettre des systèmes dérivés d'Ubuntu # (actuellement Ubuntu est à la version 20.04) # et Debian # (actuellement Debian est à la version 10.4) #.

Linux menthe, son système d'exploitation est très léger et rapide.

Dérivé d'Ubuntu, personnellement, j'utilise un environnement de bureau cinnamon.

Chez moi, j'ai un DELL OPTIPLEX 740 (qui prend plus de 10 ans)

Et qui a un environnement de bureau xfce du système d'exploitation Q4OS (léger)

Hi Ellelle06, For your operating system problem, I advise you to save your data is to transmit systems derived from Ubuntu # (currently Ubuntu is at version 20.04) # and Debian # (currently Debian is at version 10.4) #. Linux mint, its operating system is very light and fast. Derived from Ubuntu, personally, I use a cinnamon desktop environment. At home, I have a DELL OPTIPLEX 740 (which takes more than 10 years) And which has a desktop environment xfce of the operating system Q4OS (light)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I am very new to Linux. My total experience to date has been taking my old Panasonic Toughbook CF-50 (about 18 years old!) to Free Geek to have Windows XP replaced with a Linux operating system. With the help of some of the Wednesday night volunteers, we loaded Lubuntu (?) because it is a "lighter" operating system. This was some time ago, and since then, I have not used the laptop very much. I now notice that this version (Ubuntu 14.04.5 -see attachments) is very much out of date. I was hoping someone could help me (Free Geek is now closed due to Covid-19) - maybe virtually? Thanks!
Thank you all for your support! I decided to sell the laptop and the new owner is an IT guy so he will do whatever is necessary to bring it up to speed!

Actually, standard support for Ubuntu 14.04 ended April 2019. If one wishes to write checks for extended support, that ends in April 2022. For Ubuntu, LTS standard support is a 5 year deal. And IIRC, Lubuntu LTS has 3 year support.

Latest posts