Need proper c++ editor

Circuits

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, so currently to view and edit c++ files I am using gedit. It works okay but the problem is the lack of features. I am looking for an editor similar to notepad++ but for the Linux platform. I don't need anything too fancy. If I highlight some method definition I would like it to highlight all instances of that definition. I would like to have the option to auto-format my code for me... simple features like those, any ideas?

I think Arochester has everything pretty much covered in his link.

I use vim as my primary editor (Not just for C/C++) in the terminal. For IDE-like functionality I use vims built-in syntax highlighting, ctags for code-completion, plus tmux for opening extra terminals to run builds, or to search through the rest of the code-base using ag or grep. Topped off with a few custom functions and keybinds in my .vimrc to help with switching between buffers/tabs and jumping from header to source etc. Not everybody's cup of tea, but I really like it!

Visual Studio Code is cool, Intellij is interesting... If you want something akin to notepad++ I'd probably go for sublime. I think you test stuff out, it's your tool and you should make sure it's handy for you :)

Thanks guys, yeah I tend to avoid just typing "good c++ editor" into google because the majority of the results are only going to be companies who have paid money for the advertisement. I am going to start off with visual studios because I like the idea of being able to look at the assembly and locations in memory.

Members online

Latest posts