Need linux version for very slow computer

G

Gediminas

Hi

I have very slow computer
dell latitude d620

I tried ubuntu 14.10. But laptop worked so slow with them, that it was unusable. What would you recommend. This laptop purpose will be only watch youtube and read news sites.

B

blackneos940

I'd go with what Arochester said, but I do know that Mint seems to work well with that Laptop, since, if memory serves me, I put it on a friends Laptop, which was a Latitude, I think..... :3 He Loves it!!..... ^^ But yeah, you should be good with Lubuntu....... :3

Y

Yesyesloud

I'd go with Wattos Microwatt Edition for a system as low as 96-128MB on ram.

PS: that laptop seems to have a good amount of ram. Xubuntu/Lubuntu can be good choices then, as well as the other distros mentioned across the thread.

Last edited:
V

Videodrome

I seem to have issues making a bootable USB for wattOS. Is there a particular method for it? DD or Unetbootin?

C

Charles McColm

I'm running Xubuntu on a laptop (HP) with similar specifications (1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM). I swapped out the hard drive in my notebook for a cheap 120GB SSD (Kingston - ran me $60). The SSD made an enormous speed difference. It appears that your D620 is also SATA, so you could swap out the hard drive. I like Xubuntu because PPA's behave well.

Members online