Need help with Terminal command

vanmol

Reaction score
Credits
The following is directions to install my PureVpn to Linux Mint 19.3

1Download PureVPN Linux Application from here.

2 From terminal, move to the directory where package is downloaded.

3 Install PureVPN package using the following command

sudo dpkg -i <package_name> (For Debian OS)

sudo rpm –ivh <package_name> (For Redhat OS)

Step 2-----How do I move to the directory where I have PureVpn saved. (It is in the downloads folder) It is named "purevpn_1.2.3_ amd64.deb" Is that the package name that would be used in step #3 IE
sudo dpkg-i purepvn_1.2.3_amd64.deb

change directory (cd) to your Downloads directory
Code:
cd /home/(UserName)/Downloads/

sudo  dpkg -i  . . .

See here
Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide

I might not have been too clear. I downloaded PureVpn and it installed in the default Linux download folder. My question was how do I follow the inst in step #2? What would the command look like in the Terminal?

Set up guides for Ubuntu are the same for Linux.....

Those instructions do not match my my installation.

I think i give up with this install. Nothing is working with the Purevpn install and I just noticed that although I am set up as Wireless my internet connection is labeled Wired. Maybe I will try another version. thanks anyway.

The fact that your internet connection is incorrectly named is of no consequence.

Have you asked for help at Purevpn ? It is their product after all.

The fact that your internet connection is incorrectly named is of no consequence.

Have you asked for help at Purevpn ? It is their product after all.

yes, I have talked with PureVpn and their install tutorial is very short and easy looking. The first step is to download the app and the second says this.
"From the Terminal move to the directory where package is installed" I don't understand what "move" means and they do not explain. The app is downloaded to the Linux default "downloads" folder and their last suggestion was to use this command. "cd downloads" which still ends up with same error of cant find or does not exist. I am done with Windows and if I have to I will look for another VPN but have always been very happy with PureVpn.

I am going to list a few names here.....it will "message" other members that help is needed

@wizardfromoz

@Vrai

@arochester

@poorguy

My apologies for not having answers for you here

At least one of these guys will simplify the process for us

In the meantime SCREENSHOTS

@vanmol
see my reply here - post back with any questions;

I have talked with PureVpn and their install tutorial is very short and easy looking. The first step is to download the app and the second says this.
"From the Terminal move to the directory where package is installed" I don't understand what "move" means and they do not explain. The app is downloaded to the Linux default "downloads" folder and their last suggestion was to use this command. "cd downloads" which still ends up with same error of cant find or does not exist.

Linux is case-sensitive. It can seem very cruel when you do not use the correct case.

In my case the folder is called Downloads and not downloads.

Code:
cd Downloads

Blimey, this thread's turning into a dogs dinner isn't it?! Ha ha!

As you're running Mint, it's likely to be "Downloads" as the others have pointed out.
Some distros use the capital D, others don't. Unlike Windows, most Linux file-systems are case-sensitive - so you need to use the correct case when entering file and directory names.

In Linux, downloads, Downloads, DOWNLOADS and DoWnLoAdS would be four completely different directories. Whereas in Windows it would be the same directory!

So after downloading the .deb package, the install process should be a case of opening a terminal and entering the commands:
Code:
cd Downloads
sudo dpkg -i purepvn_1.2.3_amd64.deb
Job done!

OR, you could do it in one command, without using cd, by opening a terminal and entering this instead:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i ./Downloads/purepvn_1.2.3_amd64.deb
It's pretty much exactly the same thing!

As a little aside - normally when installing a 3rd party .deb package, or a .deb package that I've built from source - I will install it using apt:
Code:
sudo apt install ./Downloads/purepvn_1.2.3_amd64.deb

That usually will add any apt-keys that are necessary for any remote 3rd party repos and will also pull in any missing dependencies. Making it easier to update. But if pureVPN recommend using dpkg, then it's probably best to follow their advice and run with that.

and......copy and paste what @JasKinasis has typed above for you....so you will not only get the spelling right you will also get the spacing and punctuation right as well ..............as below, all the dots and dashes and etc etc in their correct places etc etc

sudo dpkg -i ./Downloads/purepvn_1.2.3_amd64.deb

Members online

Latest posts