need help with boot

skyliner

Credits
i cant load my os, grub first gave me errors, then i tried installing ubuntu to repair it which failed because it failed to execute some file related to grub, first grub was giving me an error of unknown filesystem after I formatted the kali partition then the grub resque commands i saw online didnt hep so i tired installing a new operating system which happened to be ubuntu. i want to remove the improperly installed ubuntu and revert my pc back to normal, so that it can boot into my first operating system which was mint. i tried boot-repair too, and it did not work, boot repair gave me this link to show to the person who was gonnna help me

sp331yi

Credits
i want to remove the improperly installed ubuntu and revert my pc back to . . . mint.
First, what is the machine you're working with and how much RAM is installed?

Looks to me like the simplest, most practical thing would be a reinstall of Mint after wiping the hard drive. Do you know how to use fdisk and do you have an install disk or an install USB stick?

skyliner

Credits
i know how to use fdisk and i have an install usb stick, i have important data in my mint partition which i have nowhere to backup to, 4gb ram

captain-sensible

Credits
Is it install only on the usb stick or it's a live os with install icon like mint,if so tools could be used to copy off hd to external storage which you will have,borrow beg or..no not that one

sp331yi

Credits
i know how to use fdisk and i have an install usb stick, i have important data in my mint partition which i have nowhere to backup to, 4gb ram
This is one reason I always try to have a LiveCD of Puppy in my collection of utility CDs!

sp331yi

Credits
@captain-sensible
How would you rate knoppix Vs bionicpuppy both live on usb for fixing
I use a modified/updated Slacko 6.3.0 for such tasks. Personally I have used the Knoppix version contained in EXTON Linux, but not yet for troubleshooting, so cannot make the comparison.

Check out EXTON as I think many may find it intriguing!

captain-sensible

Credits
ok i will have a look; Knoppix (with persistence) so far is my first choice for live OS ; its sort of like an anti-kali Knoppix fixes and kali..does ethical hacking of course

Members online