Need help installing

Very_New

Reaction score
Credits
So I'm currently running windows 10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad P52, I would like to switch over to PureOS. I went to this link https://pureos.net/download/ and followed the instructions for downloading and installing it with a flash drive. However when is finishes downloading and I try using etcher to put it on my flash drive so I can boot the OS off of it, there is no OS that has been downloaded from what I can tell. There is just a 'DVD Drive PureOS 9.0 GNOME' with a picture of a disk next to it and I cant put anything inside into the etcher because it says its not bootable. And I can't just select the DVD Drive because etcher won't let me, it just wants to open it and select something inside. If I punch PureOS into my search bar nothing shows up except web searches, not even the DVD Drive file.

Try using Rufus instead-

Exact same thing happens. It doesn't seem like it's the software that puts the OS on my flash drive that's the issue, it seems like it's the DVD Drive that's either the wrong thing to put on the flash drive or it's something else. I tried downloading PureOS a second time and got the same results.

It's a long time since I used Windows.

there is no OS that has been downloaded from what I can tell.

Go here and download the ISO. https://www.pureos.net/download/

That's what Etcher needs and will put automagically onto your USB stick.

DO NOT UNPACK IT IN ANY WAY.

Just use Etcher with the ISO.

Ok I didn't realize that it put it onto my USB automagically, but what do I put where etcher asks for image?

Do you know there the file is called Downloads?

Maybe is you put into the Search Box: Downloads

Yes, if I go to the downloads folder there isn't anything there related to PureOS, just some PDF's related to physics. It's the same thing with Etcher, I run the installer and when its done the window pops up so I can use it but then if I close the program it's gone, nothing pops up in the search bar for etcher and if I want to use it again I have to go back and reinstall it everytime.

So the PureOS .iso file was NOT downloaded?

That should have been the first step. Then you use Etcher to write the .iso contents to the USB device from the downloaded file.

So the first thing I do is go to this link https://www.pureos.net/download/ then I click 'Download .iso' that's in the deep blue box right next to version and media size. The installer pops up and I run it, the first time I did this it took me about an hour and a half to download, every time I've tried it since then, it downloads in a minute and a half. This makes me wonder if it is on my computer somewhere and I just can't find it. All I can find is the DVD Drive file, and searching my system for 'PureOS' gives only web results.

Perfect! That did it, thank you very much! So now I'm curious, if I just reboot my computer right now and install Linux, is my windows going to be gone? What I'm trying to do is get everything onto Linux and then just run one application through a virtual machine as needed because it won't work on Linux.

Have you now used Etcher to install it to a USB stick?

If you install Linux and tell it to use the whole Hard Drive it will do just that and your Windows will be gone,

An alternative is to dual boot - that is to have BOTH Windows and Linux. You will just be running one Operating System at a time, but you will be able to choose which.

Can you tell us what app does not work on Linux?

Yes it's called SolidWorks, It's a 3D modelling software. I know Linux has other CAD software it can run but this is the program that's on the CSWA for getting licensed to do work, so the other alternatives unfortunately won't help me.

So the dual boot option is something that pops up when booting off the USB?

Yes it's called SolidWorks, It's a 3D modelling software. I know Linux has other CAD software it can run but this is the program that's on the CSWA for getting licensed to do work, so the other alternatives unfortunately won't help me.

So the dual boot option is something that pops up when booting off the USB?
The dual boot option occurs when you have Linux installed alongside Windows.
When you have a dual boot Grub will appear and you will have the option to choose which os you want to boot into.

You can try installing Wine on Linux to see if you can get SolidWorks to work.

Hi guys,

I installed PureOS 9.0 on my laptop without a problem but when I restarted, after the initial Lenovo logo the monitor went black with just the background light still on.

It seems there is an issue with the AMD drivers, some guy apparently solved it (https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/550218/pureos-doesnt-load-amd-graphics-firmware#587508) but I don't have a clue how to do this.

A more detailed guide would be highly appreciated as I am quite new to the scene.

Laptop details:
Lenovo G505s
AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.50 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB, 64-Bit

Thanks,
Marcel

You're probably going to want to start your own thread, rather than adding onto a long-dead thread.

Members online