Need help installing Linux

Moo_Moo_Milkar

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys

I have been having problems trying to install Linux on my newly built pc. i have used linux before on virtual box and bootable usb but only on my old computer. My new computer has windows 10 and the only reason why i have windows 10 is for games. but now i am trying to install ubuntu and kali in virtual machine but i keep getting this error. Now i have also created a bootable usb for Kali linux before which has worked fined on my old computer which is running windows 8 but when i try and use it on my new computer it has the same error as my virtual machine. now i tried different linux os like parrot, kali, ubuntu etc for virtual machine with the same error. I am also running a ssd and a hdd with windows 10 using the ssd. It's like my new computer doesnt like linux at all. i would like to run all my linux os on virtual machine. i have disabled hyper-v, enabled virtualization in uefi, secure boot is disabled. I just have no idea what else to do to fix this.

thanks

PC specs:
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
ssd: samsung evo
hdd: western digital
gpu: rtx 2060
motherboard: asrock x570 phantom gaming 4

here is a picture of the error

I just registered to respond to this. I have the same errors with Ryzen 3700x, ASUS Prime x570-PRO, Windows 10, Hyper-V. Check out this thread - someone else had some problem recommended updating BIOS. Sounds like it's an x570 chipset/Ubuntu kernel issue? I was able to stand up CentOS 7 with no problem.

In your description, you seem to flip flop back and forth between installing it so you can boot to it and installing it to run as a VM. However, it sounds like you want it to run as a VM, so lets just stick with that scenario. We can't help you with whatever Windows uses for it's VM application, we're a Linux community. But I can say that even if your Bios is out of date, that shouldn't have any affect on installing it to a VM. Make sure that your VM application is up to date. Since you're running it on Windows, I'd suggest going with VMWare. They have a free version available for anyone who just runs it for personal use. They also have a great forum for getting help if you have issues.

If I'm incorrect and you want to boot to Linux, installed on hard drive or USB device, let us know. We can help with that.

Seems weird that several people now have had a hard time running Ubuntu on x570 chipsets. I definitely am not very knowledgeable in the technical details on what would cause that (and won't pretend to be).

Edit: Just came across this Ubuntu bug.

Also found this news article.

Last edited:
Hi guys
thanks for all your input, i guess i will just have to wait till the motherboards get updated before going any further.

thanks again

Members online