Need help installing Linux on a mac

S

snafflejarnerdlo

Salutations,

I have taken it upon myself to actually learn about the computers that run my life. I am trying to learn coding and programming. It was suggested that I instal Linux. I am attempting to instal Linux on a mac. I don't really know where to start. I don't know what kind of version to install and I don't really know how to do it. I would like to keep running mac osx on this computer as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The Linux distribution you can install depends on what kind of Mac you have. If it's a more recent one, you have lots of options. If it's an older one, you may be more limited. I once installed Linux on an old eMac I had - that was a bit difficult but I finally found that Debian would work. If you have a newer Mac, though, you can likely install Ubuntu or OpenSUSE or Linux Mint pretty easily. You'll get options during the install process to partition your hard drive and keep OSX on one partition and put Linux on a separate partition so you can start either one when you boot the computer. I'd recommend downloading a Live CD version of any Linux distribution you're interested in (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Mint, whatever), burn it to a CD or USB drive, then try it out first, without installing, to see if it works and see if you like it. And check out http://mac.linux.be/ for more information on running Linux on Macs.

If you a have a newer Mac I would recommend VMWARE Fusion.
That way you can experiment with any distro you want.

Virtual Box is also good.