Need Help Installing Firefox in Kali Linux

Isn't firefox installed by default in Kali?!
Weird.....

If it's not already installed, then do the following:
First up, make sure you have networking enabled and that you're connected to the internet.

Next run the command:
Bash:
sudo apt update

Now do a quick search for firefox:
Bash:
apt search firefox --names-only
This should yield the names of any firefox packages.
I haven't used Kali in a while, I can't remember the name of the firefox package used in it. It might be simply be "firefox", or it might be "firefox-esr", or something else.

Either way - look through the output of the apt search command above and determine the exact package name.

Then install firefox like this:
Bash:
sudo apt install firefox
or firefox-esr, or whatever the exact package name was in the previous step.

Reactions: Rob
It's firefox-esr and it is installed by default.

Try it with

firefox-esr

and if you get no installation candidate, then you are holding a faulty version of Kali.

I have modified your subject title because ffikl tells us nothing.

I am moving this Thread to our Kali Linux Section, please have a look through our Forums before posting.

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

E: Package 'firefox' has no installation candidate
I couldn’t face-palm hard enough if I tried......
You didn’t even search for Firefox related packages as per my instructions did you?? If you did the search, the very first result would have been firefox-esr and right next to it would have been the word [installed].
Telling you it was already installed......

It's firefox-esr and it is installed by default.

Try it with

firefox-esr

I couldn’t remember offhand whether Kali used Firefox, or chrome. But I was pretty certain Firefox was installed by default!!!

What is it with all of the noobs and Kali ATM?
"I wannabe a l33t H4xx0r, how do I install Firefox in Kali?"

Not off to a great start!! Ha ha!!

Kali = l33t H4xx0r

... or probably just BS.

Kali is nothing more than a Linux distro that comes with security TESTING packages. So, first learn what penetration testing is (and all the other cyber-security test protocols), then try Kali. Otherwise, install Mint, or Ubuntu, or Arch, or Puppy, and learn Linux first!

What is it with all of the noobs and Kali ATM?

They used to clearly state that they weren't a distro meant for beginners. It was on their home page and (if memory serves) also on their download page.

Those warnings are now gone.

They also used to clearly state that it wasn't meant to be installed and used as your daily OS, that it was meant to be run from a live DVD/USB. Those warnings are now also gone.

So, you get a lot of wanna-be script kiddies who think they actually want to be hackers trying to do basic things that are over their heads and mucking up the various support forums with their pleas for assistance that they won't actually listen to.

I'd not expect you to verify this, but you can rest reasonably assured that this is the only time (or at least one of very, very few times) that I've posted in a Kali thread. I avoid them like the plague. On the unix.SE site they're often summarily dismissed with a down vote, though I personally avoid down voting unless I feel like commenting (which I usually do not).

If I do post, it's generally just to point out that Kali no longer has those warnings and to speculate about the reasons for removing them. My official guess is that they wanted more attention so they just stopped warning people and don't even tell them that the distro really shouldn't be installed and used like your regular OS.

My official guess is that they wanted more attention so they just stopped warning people and don't even tell them that the distro really shouldn't be installed and used like your regular OS.

thats probably the nail being ht on the head

Kali is nothing more than a Linux distro that comes with security TESTING packages.

yes and i wpscan installed on Slackware for testing Wp on localhost , metasploit if i want it etc so you don't need to go straight to Kali

I often say to new users "No, that is not a stupid question. The only stupid questions are those that are left unasked".

Kali is an exception to that rule.

If you have to ask how to install Firefox on Kali Linux, it simply shows that you have next to no knowledge on Linux, and therefore should not be using a Distribution like Kali, or Parrot, or Blackarch.

Yet.

Spend 2 to 3 years using other Linux. Get some experience.

Do yourself (and us) a favour, and read this Post I made a little over 12 months ago.

Read it from top to bottom, and be sure to click on the screenshot and look at the list in the left-hand pane.

https://linux.org/threads/linux-for-cybersecurity.19269/#post-57380

Friday here, DownUnder, so

Avagudweegend, all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
Thanks, Andy :)

Edited

Agree. We want @OP to keep on showing up here, but do your self a favor; start at the beginning with a nice smooth Linux distro. One that will help you to learn what Linux is without poking you in the eye with what Linux isn't. Penetration testing (and other cool stuff) isn't Linux. It's full certified, credentialed, Cyber-security, experienced professional, capable of doing the same security bashing on ANY OS environment.

I often say to new users "No, that is not a stupid question. The only stupid questions are those that are left unasked".

Kali is an exception to that rule.

If you have to ask how to install Firefox on Kali Linux, it simply shows that you have next to no knowledge on Linux, and therefore should not be using a Distribution like Kali, or Parrot, or Blackarch.

Yet.

Spend 2 to 3 years using other Linux. Get some experience.

Do yourself (and us) a favour, and read this Post I made a little over 12 months ago.

Read it from top to bottom, and be sure to click on the screenshot and look at the list in the left-hand pane.

https://linux.org/threads/linux-for-cybersecurity.19269/#post-57380

Friday here, DownUnder, so

Avagudweegend, all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
for webs i would add 2 tools not listed on Wiz link :wpscan for wordpress and https://www.zaproxy.org/getting-started/ zap from OWASP. you can run them against your web in development on apache localhost. So for instance zap might remind me i forgot to enable csrf etc wpscan would quickly show anybody using wordpress how extremely vulnerable a default install is

Greetings Guys and Gals,
Amen to all that you guys have written about Kali and noobies. There are several books on hacking that anyone can read - if they are really interested in the subject.
I have been learning about Linux for about 5 years now. Now I am finally feeling comfortable using Linux. I believe I have 'some' knowledge about how Linux works by using Linux Mint as my main OS.
Kali is still above my head so I won't even waste my time perusing it. Same goes for several other distros. "If the shoe fits, wear it: if it doesn't, don't bother trying it on."
Enough from the Old Geezer for this time.
Keep up the great work you guys do here on Linux dot org.

Use against TOR bundle browser; it's very sure. Firefox is not very good programming and you can get bud add-on on it... by the way,you can download in .tar-gz and double-click on it!

Members online