My pc starts heating instantly as i start it , pls read the thread

Reaction score
Credits
I just moved from window 11 to Linux mint 20.3 cinnamon, I just installed it via USB and I was updating updates and then suddenly my CPU fan start accelerating and making loud noises that I never heard before , and it becomes hot on the processor side , it never make that noises on window 11 , I just bought this laptop 2 weeks ago , so there must be no hardware problem .
My laptop is Dell Vostro 3400 , i3 11 gen , 12 GB Ram, 64 bit architecture , pls help me I am scared that it doesn't do any thing wrong to my pc.

There's probably nothing wrong with your hardware, and Linux isn't damaging anything.

What I think is happening is that during your initial update, the latest kernel package is being downloaded, and recompiled, which is a CPU intensive process. Happens every time I update my kernel. My CPU sits around 35-40C when idle, but when compiling it jumps to 70+C, and my fan runs full speed, then calms down when complete.

If you want to see your temps, you can right-click on your taskbar and select Applets, then download and select "CPU Temperature Indicator".

Just make sure your vents are unobstructed, especially when you do high-intensity stuff.

There's probably nothing wrong with your hardware, and Linux isn't damaging anything.

What I think is happening is that during your initial update, the latest kernel package is being downloaded, and recompiled, which is a CPU intensive process. Happens every time I update my kernel. My CPU sits around 35-40C when idle, but when compiling it jumps to 70+C, and my fan runs full speed, then calms down when complete.

If you want to see your temps, you can right-click on your taskbar and select Applets, then download and select "CPU Temperature Indicator".

Just make sure your vents are unobstructed, especially when you do high-intensity stuff.
Sir , it's been 3 hours but it stills make loud noise , I use laptop on laptop desk with flat board , but when I start pc there is a message your device doesn't have graphic driver may cause high cou usage , update , when I click on it says no need to update any drivers.

Sir , it's been 3 hours but it stills make loud noise , I use laptop on laptop desk with flat board , but when I start pc there is a message your device doesn't have graphic driver may cause high cou usage , update , when I click on it says no need to update any drivers.
How to delete thread ?

How to delete thread ?
Don't delete threads, as that would be bad form.

Based on your laptop model, it looks like your video chip is Intel UHD, which should be well supported in Linux.

Can you open System Reports app, and from the System Information tab, copy the Graphics section to here?

Don't delete threads, as that would be bad form.

Based on your laptop model, it looks like your video chip is Intel UHD, which should be well supported in Linux.

Can you open System Reports app, and from the System Information tab, copy the Graphics section to here?

Sir Is this what you asked for?
Sir pls check the attachment as I hadn't loggined in mint with my account .

Can we run playstore apps (not games) , because I need a app for my work ?

Attachments

• 16571256309023548244982501752828.jpg
    16571256309023548244982501752828.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Ok, the device (8086:9a78) appears to be an Intel Tiger Lake Iris Xe chip. Research indicates the kernel version included with Linux Mint 20.3 does not include the driver for that chip. BUT, the Linux Mint guys are so awesome that they included an easy way to upgrade your kernel.

I direct you to this tutorial: https://www.makeuseof.com/upgrade-kernel-linux-mint/

Sir Is this what you asked for?
Sir pls check the attachment as I hadn't loggined in mint with my account .

Can we run playstore apps (not games) , because I need a app for my work ?

Ok, the device (8086:9a78) appears to be an Intel Tiger Lake Iris Xe chip. Research indicates the kernel version included with Linux Mint 20.3 does not include the driver for that chip. BUT, the Linux Mint guys are so awesome that they included an easy way to upgrade your kernel.

I direct you to this tutorial: https://www.makeuseof.com/upgrade-kernel-linux-mint/
So should I upgrade my kernal by the tutorial? Or download driver for my chip

I recommend upgrade your kernel because the one that comes with Mint 20.3 is kernel 5.4, which is quite old.

Yes I checked my current kernel , it is 5.4 so i have to download a specific kernel or latest.
Anything 5.8 or newer should recognize your video chip. I don't know what kernels are listed, but 5.13 is what comes with Mint Edge, which I've used before, and had good success.

Anything 5.8 or newer should recognize your video chip. I don't know what kernels are listed, but 5.13 is what comes with Mint Edge, which I've used before, and had good success.
Screenshot_2022-07-06-23-18-20-68_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

My update manager doesn't show any menu it just shows file edit and on background a tick with all drivers are updated.

In following what steps I think you've taken so far, I've just now done the following:
1. Installed Linux Mint 20.3
2. Fully updated all packages
3. Opened Update Manager and do see the View menu with Linux Kernel.

Screenshot from 2022-07-06 14-16-01.png

Ah ... you beat me to it!

Yeah, things are looking better! It's showing the i915 driver, whereas before it wasn't. How is your computer running now?

Ah ... you beat me to it!

Yeah, things are looking better! It's showing the i915 driver, whereas before it wasn't. How is your computer running now?
Sorry sir I am new to tech so i am confused , so sorry for bothering you by my silly questions.

Members online

Latest posts