My pc breaks every time I put it to sleep in linux

mog5

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I have this problem with my pc - when I put it to sleep in linux it turns off but after a second the power button lights up, fans go to 100% and the computer won't react to anything (including power button and reset button). The only way to break it out of this state is to turn the power supply off. This has been happening with both manjaro and ubuntu linux.

Welcome to the forums.
Personally, I never use sleep mode, as the machine is still using power
you can adjust the settings in the power management application.

I am like @Brickwizard I do not use sleep mode either, I just have the screen turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity

Welcome to the forums.
Personally, I never use sleep mode, as the machine is still using power
you can adjust the settings in the power management application.
That makes sense. Thanks for changing my view on this.

Yup... I disable sleep and hibernation entirely. The monitor shuts down after a period of inactivity. It will happily stay up and running if there's a video playing.

My laptop consumes about 4 watts per hour idling and 0.6 watts sleeping, it is a low performance machine but good enough for my needs.

Hello, I have this problem with my pc - when I put it to sleep in linux it turns off but after a second the power button lights up, fans go to 100% and the computer won't react to anything (including power button and reset button). The only way to break it out of this state is to turn the power supply off. This has been happening with both manjaro and ubuntu linux.
Hardly anyone ever uses sleep mode. And I've had the same failure you're describing regardless of what OS I used, including windows. Modern PC's are so efficient at rest these days that putting your computer to sleep is practically futile. At best you would save a cup of coffee's worth of power a year.

Staff online