My Openbox is closedbox-No right click

Z

ZZs

Hi folks,

I installed Gnome Openbox on Mint16 and the right click, nor anything else, doesn't work. Only thing I found to work is the power button. I've done a little bit of research and found the touch pad may be impacting it. I'm on a laptop with an Alps touch pad. I'd like to know how to set up Openbox so I can test the desktop out before I rebuild again. (Trying out Distro's is my new hobby.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi folks,

I installed Gnome Openbox on Mint16 and the right click, nor anything else, doesn't work. Only thing I found to work is the power button. I've done a little bit of research and found the touch pad may be impacting it. I'm on a laptop with an Alps touch pad. I'd like to know how to set up Openbox so I can test the desktop out before I rebuild again. (Trying out Distro's is my new hobby.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would love to see an answer for this. I will share this on Google+.

Found a Debian help page prior to my post: wiki.debian.or/SynapticsTouchpad this is how I found out I have Alps Touch pad.

It is not an Openbox problem. If I understand your post correctly, nothing is working: mouse, keyboard, Openbox. Is that correct? Is the Gnome-Openbox combination from Mint or something you created? If it is a Mint offering, I can think of two possible sources of the problem.
Mint
Mint's ISO is crap. The first thing I would do is check the Mint forum to see if anyone else is having this problem. If so, the solution might be there. If the problem is not Mint's ISO, then;
Disc
The ISO was corrupted when burned to disc. Burning a new disc at the slowest speed will usually solve the problem.

HaHa I agree. I do like the mint desktop for the simple thing as adding apps to the panel as a launch pad. Yes I updated the system and all. Reason I think its the touch pad cam from a post google " mint 16 openbox no right click" first one is from Debian forum. Cant add links yet.

I do have a mouse cursor thats functional just no right click or keyboard functions.

So just what is the problem?
In your first post you wrote "nothing works, only the power button," but the link is for a thread regarding someone having trouble with a touch pad and Openbox.

Help people help you. State exactly what the problem is.

Edit
You posted while I was typing.

I have never had a problem with Openbox. I do not use a touch pad, but the ones on this computer and the last one both worked. Since I ignore the touch pad, and would remove it if it was an easy thing to do, I cannot provide the answer to the problem. The problem could be with how Mint is expecting to communicate with the hardware. I do not know if the problem is Mint's configuration or how Mint's combination of Gnome and Openbox is configured or if the hardware is too new for the kernel. All I can suggest is to follow the advice in the thread you linked.

Last edited:
Patric Conant from Google+ suggests you update the system. First, press ctrl+alt+F2 (this brings you to a terminal). Log in as Root. Then use the command "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade", then restart the system.

Thanks Patric Conant!

@ZZs , you cheater! :p

I did update and upgrade but its the same black screen - no right click. I don't think this matters but when I switch to Openbox and login I'm asked if I want to set Openbox as my default and I answer "not at this time". Anyway back to bed.

I do have a mouse cursor thats functional just no right click or keyboard functions.
My first guess is that a configuration file is messed up. There are two configuration files you might need to look through in the /etc/xdg/openbox directory to see if anything is amiss: environment and menu.xml. I cannot guess further, since I do not know where you downloaded Openbox from. From the Mint repositories? Can you load Gnome?

If Gnome and Openbox are both from Mint, they should both work. If Gnome works, but OB does not, then there may be a bug in Mint's version of OB. This is all guesswork off the top of my head though, since I have never used Mint.

Installed from the Mint repository. I never installed Gnome desktop individually just Openbox. (apt-get install openbox) The menu when switching desktops at Login states Gnome-Openbox. Cinnamon is the default.
I'm going to wipe Mint anyway I just wanted to try out Openbox prior to the rebuild. I let Mint setup the partition on this install and it formated the drive Ext2 which I don't want. First and Last time I let the OS decide the format.

Question: What would you chose for a Distro? I don't prefer the Gnome3 desktop to busy for me. I've loaded KLXUbuntu's, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, Kali. I liked Debian and Ubuntu.

I do not know all the distributions that will allow a minimal installation to be built up as the user wishes. The ones that I know of are Debian and Arch. Slackware does not have a minimal installation, but the entire system is quite small and logs into the CLI as default. However, I would suggest installing any system normally and learning how it works before going the minimal route. The learn to walk before trying to run idea.

Members online