My NVMe SSD only SOMETIMES does not get detected by linux...

I came across this somewhere else so it might be worth a try, there seems to be a bug where an nvme ssd is sometimes not recognized, add the following to your grub and generate a new grub.
Code:
nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=550
Then reboot your system or just see if your problems happens again or not.
Do i add this line in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" or?

Do i add this line in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" or?
The other one.
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=550"
Then run sudo update-grub and then reboot your system.

The other one.
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=550"
Then run sudo update-grub and then reboot your system.
tried it, but the issue still happens, I honestly think that it's my BIOS messing stuff up for some reason...

I am experiencing exactly the same issue on a MSI Modern 15 laptop, equipped with a Kingston OM8PCP3512F-AI1.

I'll try what was suggested above, but I am also wondering whether @dimiidk has some updates on the issue or has eventually fixed it.

I am experiencing exactly the same issue on a MSI Modern 15 laptop, equipped with a Kingston OM8PCP3512F-AI1.

I'll try what was suggested above, but I am also wondering whether @dimiidk has some updates on the issue or has eventually fixed it.

What distro are you using? I have that same laptop and it's working just fine. It's even stable enough that I use it as a test device to test daily Lubuntu builds.

I am using Arch Linux. The laptop works fine, except for this occasional yet annoying issue.
It is only 6 months old and it is in its warranty period. However, since the issue appears randomly, I am afraid that sending the laptop and requesting it to be repaired would only result in a waste of time (and money), as they would probably detect nothing unusual.

I feel it may be due to a firmware issue, but upgrading the firmware of Kingston SSD devices is officially supported only on Windows.
I am considering the idea of replacing the SSD with a new one to see if the issue persists.

Hmm... In my case, I updated all the firmware before installing Linux, including the BIOS. (Though that can just be written to USB drive and installed that way.)

I have no special drivers installed. It just worked right out of the box.

That's with Lubuntu. I'd say test in Lubuntu to see if it's a distro thing, but you say it's sporadic. Could it just be a loose connection that maybe only shows up when the device is warm? Have you noticed any commonalities - things that are the same each time this happens?

I have updated the BIOS as well. It's just the SSD firmware that I haven't managed to update.

I am trying to identify commonalities among the occurrences of the issue. I feel that the issue has mostly/always occurred when I powered on the notebook without the AC power adapter plugged, but I am not 100% sure.

I'll check the physical connection and maybe replace the SSD. Thanks.

It probably wouldn't hurt to download the LTS Lubuntu .iso and use it live for a while. It won't be too painful, you can still browse and whatnot. You've got plenty of RAM, so it'll run live swimmingly. If it works, installing Lubuntu with an 'erase all' option takes just a few minutes.

kind of a late reply but...well some weird stuff...the only distro that I was able to get running without the "boot failing" problem was Manjaro but it had problems like suspend and sleep not working etc. But what I ended up doing is installing Garuda and whenever I boot linux, I disable the discrete graphics through the BIOS and everything is working fine including suspend, sleep etc. So I figured that the Nvidia graphics chip was causing the issue all along and Lenovo is surely not going to patch the BIOS so yeah, if you're experiencing the same problem this is the best solution (the best that I could find).

Thanks for your reply. If it can be useful for someone, I (apparently) found a different solution/workaround. I have two SSD slots on the motherboard. After moving the SSD to the other slot, I have not faced the boot issue for months now.

Members online