My NVMe SSD only SOMETIMES does not get detected by linux...

dimiidk

Reaction score
Credits
I can't seem to figure out why this is happening and by now I've tried just about everything, but basically sometimes when i boot up, for example ubuntu installation media it just does not detect the SSD or e.g. if i install ubuntu (or any other distro) on my SSD, sometimes it does not boot and says gave up waiting for root file system, but windows on the other side does not have any problems, it boots everytime and i do not have any performance issues but i don't know this could be happening.

P.S. Secure Boot is disabled, the disk controllers are set to AHCI instead of RAID and my installation is UEFI on a GPT disk.
Any help is appreciated, thanks :D

I've never seen this issue and hopefully, someone who has more experience with Linux on the desktop can help, but I would look at these options too.
  • Check for BIOS updates on your motherboard
  • Check for firmware updates for the NVMe drive
  • Ensure your drivers / distro is up to date.
  • Validate that any jumpers on the drive (if any) are correct.
One question to consider is, was the SATA controller already set to AHCI mode when you installed the operating system? Changing this after installation can cause issues.

I'd add doing a physical check to the list. Make sure everything is properly seated. Loose connections may only connect while hot or cold, for example.

I've never seen this issue and hopefully, someone who has more experience with Linux on the desktop can help, but I would look at these options too.
  • Check for BIOS updates on your motherboard
  • Check for firmware updates for the NVMe drive
  • Ensure your drivers / distro is up to date.
  • Validate that any jumpers on the drive (if any) are correct.
One question to consider is, was the SATA controller already set to AHCI mode when you installed the operating system? Changing this after installation can cause issues.
it was already set to AHCI, there are no BIOS updates and i do not understand what yiu mean by jumpers? The cables that are connected to the motherboard or?

I'd add doing a physical check to the list. Make sure everything is properly seated. Loose connections may only connect while hot or cold, for example.
well it is a laptop and I don't wanna bother opening it up but I'm sure everything is connected like it should be because there are never any problems WHILE i am using it and the "not being detected" thing only happens in linux and not in windows

it was already set to AHCI, there are no BIOS updates and i do not understand what yiu mean by jumpers? The cables that are connected to the motherboard or?
The drive may not have jumpers but in the past. Sometimes hard drives had jumpers on them for specific configurations.

You can check the drive's firmware also. Sometimes they will release new firmware for drives after they are released for sale to the public.

I generally buy Samsung SSD drives and Samsung provides tools to update their firmware.

The drive may not have jumpers but in the past. Sometimes hard drives had jumpers on them for specific configurations.

You can check the drive's firmware also. Sometimes they will release new firmware for drives after they are released for sale to the public.

I generally buy Samsung SSD drives and Samsung provides tools to update their firmware.
I have a kingmax SSD but I can't really find the model, it just says Kingmax PCIe SSD 256GB so i suppose that is the model...

They have firmware downloads on their website, but I didn't see one that specifically said for the 256GB SSD. I saw one for 240GB. I don't know and do no want to steer you wrong though.

It might be a prudent to contact their support about the issue.

Code:
sudo lshw

Scroll through that and it should be under storage.

Code:
nvme0
                   description: NVMe device
                   product: KINGSTON OM8PCP3512F-AI1
                   physical id: 0
                   logical name: /dev/nvme0
                   version: ECFK52.8
                   serial: 50026B76842D9F82

So, "KINGSTON OM8PCP3512F-AI1" is the drive model.

Code:
sudo lshw

Scroll through that and it should be under storage.

Code:
nvme0
                   description: NVMe device
                   product: KINGSTON OM8PCP3512F-AI1
                   physical id: 0
                   logical name: /dev/nvme0
                   version: ECFK52.8
                   serial: 50026B76842D9F82

So, "KINGSTON OM8PCP3512F-AI1" is the drive model.
1628886001545.png
yup, that's it

Oh, man... That's horrible. Lemme look around...

Well, some digging shows that Kingmax is some third-tier hardware manufacturer. Their company website looks like it was designed by me (and that's not a compliment).

Frankly, and I don't like to say this, I'd consider replacing it with something more upscale and better supported.

You could probably contact the company and say it's junk (we're just speculating) and maybe get a replacement. If viable, I'd head to NewEgg, Amazon, or even eBay to get a replacement.

What brand is the laptop?

i checked if there were any firmware updates on their site but there are none...

Oh, man... That's horrible. Lemme look around...

Well, some digging shows that Kingmax is some third-tier hardware manufacturer. Their company website looks like it was designed by me (and that's not a compliment).

Frankly, and I don't like to say this, I'd consider replacing it with something more upscale and better supported.

You could probably contact the company and say it's junk (we're just speculating) and maybe get a replacement. If viable, I'd head to NewEgg, Amazon, or even eBay to get a replacement.

What brand is the laptop?
yeah i kinda figured that out xD, i have a Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15ICH 81FK,

I recently upgraded my RAM so i don't think i'll do any upgrades in the near future but thank you for trying to help out

Yeah, that's one of the things I also checked. I don't see 'em doing any firmware updates for much of anything over there.

a Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15ICH 81FK,

Huh... A Lenovo with an off-brand SSD? That's strikes me as odd, but I haven't bought anything close to that since they were made by IBM.

Huh... A Lenovo with an off-brand SSD? That's strikes me as odd, but I haven't bought anything close to that since they were made by IBM.
it may be that these crappy retailers have changed some parts and than sold the laptop, but i am happy that it's still in good shape just like it was 1.5 years ago...Well I'll have to get used to the problem ig

It's entirely a hunch - but my hunch is that replacing the drive will resolve this. So, if/when you get the time and money, it's something to consider. Good luck, and sorry I can't be of more assistance.

It's entirely a hunch - but my hunch is that replacing the drive will resolve this. So, if/when you get the time and money, it's something to consider. Good luck, and sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Don't worry u were a lot of help, thank you once again

I came across this somewhere else so it might be worth a try, there seems to be a bug where an nvme ssd is sometimes not recognized, add the following to your grub and generate a new grub.
Code:
nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=550
Then reboot your system or just see if your problems happens again or not.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts