My Last Silly Question...For November Anyway

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
I'm looking for an OCR program for Mint, Tesseract OCR looks to be the one I'm needing, has anyone used it?

I have it installed, I thought I read the tutorial very well, but apparently I was mistaken...Imagine that.
Long question short...How do I launch or use it, it says via terminal, I input everything, but here I am with that deer in the headlights gaze.
Where am I messing up?

I do so little OCR that I just use a search engine to find an online site to do my OCR for me.

So, if you're not going to use it often, it's an option. There are a ton of sites that do that.

Ya know...I never thought of that. It would be the cats behind, I do very little myself and usually I do opt for online sites, did it earlier for an image that I couldn't get right. Took me 45 minutes, but finished image turned out perfectly.
I'll look now. I only need it for a legal document.

Thanks Again

I was interested in OCR at one point in my nerdism, but i realized that the technology just isn't very well developed at the moment, it's not an easy thing to do overall...you usually have to set what the letters look like.

I love your topic titles....they keep us entertained !

We will spend the rest of November wondering what December has in store for us

My last all-in-one printer's scanner did OCR, now that I think about it.

I was interested in OCR at one point in my nerdism, but i realized that the technology just isn't very well developed at the moment, it's not an easy thing to do overall...you usually have to set what the letters look like.
Got that T-shirt on right now, but the way I see it, it's easier to edit the goobered copy than it is doing the entire 3 page document by hand. I'm the world's fastest 1 finger typer.

My last all-in-one printer's scanner did OCR, now that I think about it.
So do mine, but Canon and Linux don't see eye to eye. Word on the street is I need to buy a Brother printer, they are Linux compatible.

Still got 4 days left yet, plenty of time for another silly question, LOL.

Take a look at HP's as well, they provide software for their Linux-supporting printers. I don't have one.

Avagudweegend, all, off to find some music for Rock Roxx

Wiz

I love your topic titles....they keep us entertained !

We will spend the rest of November wondering what December has in store for us
:)
Thank You for the compliment, I gotta make up for my Linux lack of knowledge somehow.
I bought the fiancee a computer with windows 10, huge mistake. She's very computer savvy, but unless you activate the One Drive, which she refuses to do, very little works on it.
Once she gets here it too will be Linux.

Take a look at HP's as well, they provide software for their Linux-supporting printers. I don't have one.

Wiz
Thanks Wiz, myself and my sister have had only bad luck with HP's. Her last one lasted less than a year before it ended up at the Salvation Army thrift shop.
I never had good luck with them, so switched to Canon, I can do basic operations with that. Nothing crafty though.
Still better than writing things out, I have crappy penmanship and no one could decipher it.
Back in grade school they always sent home tons of penmanship books for me to do during summer vacation.
It didn't work.

Wiz
If ya got a wish list on music, I have a 3TB drive almost full, but obscure garage bands...Been A Long Time Gone by the Koffee Beanz from Boston (1969)

Have you considered a different OCR with a GUI?
I'm open to anything (almost anything) I only mentioned that one because it was hyped really well. For all I know it could be a total P.O.S.
I kinda taught myself to read the 1 star reviews as well as the 5 star, that works great for me.
I know a few folks who just go by the 5 stars and get boinked pretty badly.

I'm open to anything (almost anything) I only mentioned that one because it was hyped really well. For all I know it could be a total P.O.S.
I kinda taught myself to read the 1 star reviews as well as the 5 star, that works great for me.
I know a few folks who just go by the 5 stars and get boinked pretty badly.
Whenever i buy anything, i basically just read the one star reviews...if they are descriptive enough, then i've learned to almost always believe them.

here's my little script that works well with the i3 wm

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
langs=(eng ara chi_sim chi_tra deu ell fin heb hun jpn kor nld rus tur)
lang=$(printf '%s\n' "${langs[@]}" | dmenu "$@")
maim -us | tesseract --dpi 145 -l eng+${lang} - - | xsel -bi
#grim -g "$(slurp)" - | tesseract --dpi 145 -l eng+${lang} - - | wl-copy

uncomment the line starting with `grim`, and comment the line starting with `maim` if you are using sway

here's my little script that works well with the i3 wm

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
langs=(eng ara chi_sim chi_tra deu ell fin heb hun jpn kor nld rus tur)
lang=$(printf '%s\n' "${langs[@]}" | dmenu "$@")
maim -us | tesseract --dpi 145 -l eng+${lang} - - | xsel -bi
#grim -g "$(slurp)" - | tesseract --dpi 145 -l eng+${lang} - - | wl-copy

uncomment the line starting with `grim`, and comment the line starting with `maim` if you are using sway
Are you just putting the language parenthesis in variables because you have to do that when you assign multiple variables? I'm just asking because i have been studying bash scripting.

Are you just putting the language parenthesis in variables because you have to do that when you assign multiple variables? I'm just asking because i have been studying bash scripting.
honestly, i have no idea what i'm doing. i'm no bash programmer. but it works