My Firewall often turns itself off.

Peer

Reaction score
Credits
My Firewall often turns ,after a reboot, itself off.

Do you turn it back on again via ..; sudo ufw enable ...?

Which OS are you running ? is it up to date ?

Any other dramas/bugs/....?

Are you dual booting with windows??

and....how do you know it is off ?

ufw disable will turn it off

To check if it is running,,,...: sudo ufw status verbose

Is there apf installed either?
You can check with
chkconfig --list apf
the output should look similar like this :
apf 0: off 1: off 2: on 3: on 4: on 5: on 6: off

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-16 22-07-46.png
    Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-16 22-07-46.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 843
Oh sorry,
forgot about that and try instead :
systemctl status apf

Or maybe systemctl status ufw if apf is not installed. I've not seen a firewall turn itself off (except when you power off the computer), so this is quite strange. Do you know how long this has been happening? And can you remember any other programs that you may have installed in the same time period?

It's getting busy here, isn't it? :) Hi all, @Scoobithepirate it didn't take long for you to get active, goodonyer :D

I have more commands to ask about their output, but I'll wait until the above pans out ;)

& @Peer - with last one Stan asked after (systemctl status ufw) with commands like that that list lines, you can get out of them at the finish with typing q for Quit or Ctrl-C to break off.

Cheers

Wizard

and........just to really load you up......Do you have Timeshift enabled ?

I am asking in case you feel this has happened since a particular update or since a particular program was installed....(as atanere asked)

if that happens to be the case, you can use Timeshift to go back before such an occurrence.

[QUOTE = "Scoobithepirate, Beitrag: 55899, Mitglied: 56994"] systemctl status apf [/ QUOTE]
[QUOTE = "atanere, Beitrag: 55909, Mitglied: 2"] systemctl Status ufw wenn apf [/ QUOTE]

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-17 08-35-47.png
    Bildschirmfoto von 2018-07-17 08-35-47.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 848
[QUOTE = "wizardfromoz, Beitrag: 55910, member: 28931"] & [USER = 53431] @Peer [/ USER] - mit dem letzten Stan hat einen neuen Beitrag (Systemstatus status ufw) gegeben, mit den Befehlen, die Linien aufflisten, können man Sie im Ziel durch Eingabe von q für Beenden oder Ctrl-C zum Abbrechenlassen. [/ QUOTE]
Thank you!

Timeshift acts in similar fashion to System Restore in Windows.

I am not familiar with the default programs/apps in Ubuntu. It is a default program in Linumx Mint 18.3 and 19

If it is not in the list of programs/apps in your ubuntu, there will be a repository/software manager located somewhere in the menu.

If you have a external HDD to send the system snapshots to it is indeed worth installing.

We can guide you through setting it up here if you need that help.

Question : Did you try to have an Advanced Firewall Policy when you first started thinking about a firewall ?
or....did you play around with the preferences in ufw ?.......attempt to upgrade it in any way...?....

TRY THIS...ONLY if you are comfortable with maneuvering to /etc/ufw/ufw.conf
if you see the word YES after the word enabled....simply close the page....DO NOT change anything.

Edit your configuration file /etc/ufw/ufw.conf as root and set ENABLED=yes:

# /etc/ufw/ufw.conf
#

# Set to yes to start on boot. If setting this remotely, be sure to add a rule
# to allow your remote connection before starting ufw. Eg: 'ufw allow 22/tcp'
ENABLED=yes

# Please use the 'ufw' command to set the loglevel. Eg: 'ufw logging medium'.
# See 'man ufw' for details.
LOGLEVEL=low

if you do have that file open just take a look for :APF (Advanced Policy Firewall - R-fx Networks

just close the page, and report back in your next post

Last edited:
Hi all

@Peer and @Condobloke - on Timeshift

Timeshift has not yet found its way into Ubuntu's Repositories but maybe soon.

Peer, after we have sorted out your Firewall, you could take a read of my Tutorial here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... and ask any questions on Timeshift there and I or someone will answer them. Then all may benefit.

The part that relates to your Ubuntu is to use the following commands at Terminal:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Once Timeshift is installed, you can find it in Your Applications List and pin it to your Favorites, and it will also appear in your Synaptic Package Manager and be included with your Updates.

Brian is following a similar path to what I referred to with my

I have more commands to ask about their output, but I'll wait until the above pans out ;)

... above. I will be interested to find what the fault is. :p

If all else fails, we can use a file called rc.local which currently will not exist (it used to ship as standard but was deprecated for some God only knows reason), but will work under your environment to run the Firewall at startup.

Cheers

Wiz

[QUOTE = "Condobloke, Beitrag: 55920, member: 28901"] Frage : Haben Sie eine Firewall-Richtlinie festgelegt, die Sie installieren können, um eine Firewall nachzufolgen?
oder .... hast du mit den Vorlieben in ufw herumgespielt? ....... versuchst du es irgendwiewie zu verbessern ...? ...[/ZITAT]
No!

Hi Peer, we'll do our best with the German, but your English is a whole lot better than our German ;)

Edit your configuration file /etc/ufw/ufw.conf as root and set ENABLED=yes:

So when you said that to what Brian (@Condobloke ) asked, do you mean -

• No, you couldn't get in to /etc/ufw/ufw.conf OR
  • It is set on No OR
  • something else?
I have to sign off for the night (Australia time) but someone else will be along soon.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW Scoobi (@Scoobithepirate ) - you have already been in here, and be of (further) great assistance, and in the same timezone. Cheers)

@wizardfromoz for sure. I try to help wehre i can :p
Well @Peer may you can check the crontabs as root? Just read in an another Forum where the Problem was a cron Routine. You can check this with an Terminal tun as Root and normal User:
crontab -e

Next Step we could check the Logs :cool:

Greetings also from Germany,

Scoobithepirate

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts