my favorite desktops

Having said about my preference for JWM/ROX-filer, the laughable thing about it all is that I switched to Puppy when still running ye olde 2005 Compaq desktop; 1st-gen Athlon dual-core w/3 GB DDR1. Lightweight was necessary, y'know?

Now I'm way more up-to-date with a 2019 HP Pavilion desktop; 8th-gen "Coffee Lake" Pentium 'Gold' quad-core, 32 GB DDR4, Nvidia graphics, SSDs, etc, etc.....all the "toys" you can think of (and then some!)

Don't think I haven't tried other stuff. I've tried a whole raft of the mainstream distros, with a bunch of different DEs.....and you know what? With the exception of ZorinOS - which I've kept on an external HDD for nearly a decade, it's that good - I cannot find a single combo that I actually like (or, more importantly, that I could see myself living with for any length of time).

Horses for courses, I guess. I always heave a sigh of relief when I finally get back to the refreshing sanity of the "kennels"!

Mike. :p

I think Windows 10's built-in Snap feature may help you
No thanks! I’ll stick with dwm on Linux.

I have W10 installed in a VM as part of my virtual lab, for use with Kali. But that’s just used as target practice via the Kali VM. Other than that, I have literally no use for Windows. I can’t stand W10!

Could I ask if you too find Zorin to be somewhat boring in that it just works out of the box with nothing for you to do? v16.2
Mm...perhaps. I tried it out at the beginning of my Linux journey, found I liked it, and kinda stuck with it ever since.

I spend 90% of my time in Puppy, but fire Zorin up occasionally to keep on top of updates, etc. And it's a nice "backup" OS; I like what Artyom & Kyril have done with it, especially given that these guys were in school when they first started Zorin.....

"Boring" is subjective. Puppy is a tinkerer's paradise, and suits me down to the ground.....but Zorin is dead reliable. And always just "works". Sometimes, that's exactly what I want!

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
For me Gnome...;)

I had used XFCE for quite a few years. I still have no problem with XFCE, but I'm prepping to install LXDE on my four laptops. Hopefully I'll learn to like it just as much as I do XFCE.

I'm prepping to install LXDE on my four laptops

Just so you know, and I've mentioned this elsewhere but not to you I don't think, LXDE is pretty much a dead project until some folks take it over. The LXDE devs are the ones who moved to LXQt, for fairly good reasons.

I'm not sure how much longer it'll get updates and I'd expect to never see a major upgrade again. I suspect they'll do security patches for a while longer, but it is not something they're going to actively develop. It'll languish on the vine until obsoletion.

I'd conclude that it is still perfectly safe and usable, but I would consider it 'feature complete'.

So far, nobody (no group of people, which is what it'd really take) has stepped up to maintain and grow the LXDE project. The people behind the project will be putting their energy into LXQt.

Well, you're just a bundle of good news. LOL! I'm kind of glad I haven't done anything yet and saw this before I started. That blows a couple of other possible distros out of the water, as well. I guess I didn't state that one of the things I wanted/needed in a new distro was stability and longevity of the distro.

I'm going to have to reconsider now. And this ticks me off even more about my mental abilities. I should either have been able to turn that tidbit of info up in a search or should have made mention that I want something that I know I can run for several years like I have with Mint XFCE.

Well, it's not your fault that it is pretty much dead. I sure do appreciate getting that info before I started doing all the installs on my laptops. Back to the old drawing board.

EDIT: I guess I'll be searching for an LXQT distro, or maybe an XFCE that is super resource stingy.

EDIT: I guess I'll be searching for an LXQT distro, or maybe an XFCE that is super resource stingy.

Oh, don't let me scare you away. I'd expect at least a couple more years of useful life for LXDE. Someone may even pick it up and keep it maintained. It could happen!

If you're interested in LXQt, I'm on the Lubuntu dev team and use Lubuntu on many devices. I admit my bias - but I'm on said team because I love the distro and the people around it. I didn't want to let go of my LXDE (you could theme it so that it didn't look like Windows 95) but LXQt is just fine.

Lubuntu is no longer technically aimed at low-end devices, but there's not all that much of a difference. People like to measure it at idle, which is absolutely crazy 'cause nobody actually just sits there staring at an idle computer. Once you start opening things up, the DE's resources account for less and less. It's all the other things you have open that are going to be eating your resources.

So, feel free (encouraged even) to use LXDE. Just be aware of the situation and know that you're very likely to stop getting LXDE-specific updates at some unknown time in the future.

People like to measure it at idle, which is absolutely crazy 'cause nobody actually just sits there staring at an idle computer. Once you start opening things up, the DE's resources account for less and less. It's all the other things you have open that are going to be eating your resources.
As I have asked many times without answer - Name me a Distro+DE that at idle is heavy on resources and then by some miracle gets more efficient when you start your workflow? It ain't going to happen.
Why have slow and inefficient when you can have a light fast Lotus car - sorry Distro+DE like Antix22 Full LXDE or Loc-OS :)

Lubuntu uses more than double the resource of my LXDE-22 Full LXDE setup

https://www.chippiko.com/lubuntu-vs-antix-ram

Every app needs more resource with Lubuntu - so open those listed with Lubuntu and watch the resources get sucked up.

LXDE is alive and kicking *** That's why LXLE, Trisquel-mini and others have dismissed LXQT and gone for LXDE :)

Oh, don't let me scare you away. I'd expect at least a couple more years of useful life for LXDE. Someone may even pick it up and keep it maintained. It could happen!

If you're interested in LXQt, I'm on the Lubuntu dev team and use Lubuntu on many devices. I admit my bias - but I'm on said team because I love the distro and the people around it. I didn't want to let go of my LXDE (you could theme it so that it didn't look like Windows 95) but LXQt is just fine.

Lubuntu is no longer technically aimed at low-end devices, but there's not all that much of a difference. People like to measure it at idle, which is absolutely crazy 'cause nobody actually just sits there staring at an idle computer. Once you start opening things up, the DE's resources account for less and less. It's all the other things you have open that are going to be eating your resources.

So, feel free (encouraged even) to use LXDE. Just be aware of the situation and know that you're very likely to stop getting LXDE-specific updates at some unknown time in the future.
A couple of things here. First, I decided to register for an account on the LXLE forum to ask a few questions. It's been almost three days and I still haven't even been approved for the account. I got the email where they require you to validate your email address and I followed through. It said every registration had to be approved by an admin. I'm just guessing that if no admin checks and approves new registrations in less than three days that there might be a slight problem somewhere. To me, if there is no more activity on a distro's forum than that, I might not be interested in that distro. I also tried to get an account on the SolydXK forum to ask some questions about the distro. You can't even apply for an account. There is no link to create an account, let alone be approved. So, SolydX is out for me.

Then, secondly, I would really like to give Lubuntu a whirl, except Lubuntu doesn't even find my wireless adapter. Xubuntu does, Ubuntu does, and all of the Mint varieties do, but not Lubuntu. To the best of my knowledge, Lubuntu is the only Debian/Ubuntu/Mint based distro/derivative that doesn't see the wireless adapter. I can't recall a single other .deb type distro not seeing the adapter.

So, if you think you can guide me through getting the wireless working, I'd give Lubuntu another shot.

The first step would be to give use a rundown on what your wifi card is. if not sure try this command in a terminal
Code:
inxi -Nn
That would be a start.
If Lubunutu is like Ubuntu you may need to install inxi first.

A couple of things here. First, I decided to register for an account on the LXLE forum to ask a few questions. It's been almost three days and I still haven't even been approved for the account. I got the email where they require you to validate your email address and I followed through. It said every registration had to be approved by an admin. I'm just guessing that if no admin checks and approves new registrations in less than three days that there might be a slight problem somewhere. To me, if there is no more activity on a distro's forum than that, I might not be interested in that distro. I also tried to get an account on the SolydXK forum to ask some questions about the distro. You can't even apply for an account. There is no link to create an account, let alone be approved. So, SolydX is out for me.
@lonewolf

LXLE forum ain't very active.

Can't say for sure but may not be more than a 1 man operation.
I also believe the developer has a full time job.

Search the forum and I bet most of the questions you have have already been asked and have answers and perhaps a solution.

I don't have an LXLE account just never seem to need one.

First, I decided to register for an account on the LXLE forum

AKAIK that's just a distro that uses LXDE - not affiliated with the project itself?

To the best of my knowledge, Lubuntu is the only Debian/Ubuntu/Mint based distro/derivative that doesn't see the wireless adapter.

That's bizarre - 'cause Lubuntu *is* Ubuntu. It's the same under the skin and uses content from the Ubuntu repositories. You could probably look to see what the driver is in one that does work and then make sure that driver exists in Lubuntu. But, my understanding is you would like the least amount of friction.

^ that

With as much as I type, I'm allowed a typo now and again! :cool:

I'm reminded of something Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) said in the middle of a concert.

"I don't need your help. Let me make my mistakes on my own."

But, yeah, I meant AFAIK. "As Far As I Know", sometimes you/ll see AFAICR or AFAIR.

I'm reminded of something Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) said in the middle of a concert.

"I don't need your help. Let me make my mistakes on my own."

But, yeah, I meant AFAIK. "As Far As I Know", sometimes you/ll see AFAICR or AFAIR.
Yes it is good to make mistakes to have cool stories or just to learn.

Members online