My computer freezes randomly.

computer_guyi

Reaction score
Credits
I have an EVOO-EVC156-1 laptop. Every time I boot on arch, the system just freezes at random times and ignores all input, which consequently leads to me having to perform a force shutdown. If when the freeze occurs audio is playing, the second or so of the audio, before freeze, keeps repeating itself indefinitely, in a loop.

* Kernel: 5.15.12.
* Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6660U.
* Graphics: Intel(R) Iris(R) Graphics 540.

does this happen usually when firefox is open? also make sure you have ssh open for local ports so you can easily shutdown without forcing it

It doesn't have a pattern from which a cause can infered from my perspective. I tried connecting from another computer through ssh to my laptop but every time the latter freezes the connection halts, it doesnt respond to any input.

It doesn't have a pattern from which a cause can infered from my perspective. I tried connecting from another computer through ssh to my laptop but every time the latter freezes the connection halts, it doesnt respond to any input.
I am a novice to linux btw

hey iv been using Desktop Linux for 8 years now and I still dont know even half of what it has to offer. i had this issue once in bspwm with firefox. i rebuilt my profile again and fixed it. but i am not sure its the same issue. as for ssh you would need to enable it. ill send instructions.

sudo systemctl enable sshd
sudo systemctl start sshd

if you know your pcs ip you can login with your_username@host_ip_address on a phone app or other machine that has access to ssh.

I do as example if i were to ssh locally to my machine i would do
[email protected]

but for the freezing i think its best for others to help but this is a work around for not having to force shutdown your pc. once you ssh in just do sudo shutdown.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-154338_JuiceSSH.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-154338_JuiceSSH.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Screenshot_20220103-154345_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-154345_Google Play Store.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 360
IF your laptop's all locked up and froze try holding down CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 to get a terminal.
If you get a terminal you can shut down w/o performing a hard shut down by running this:

Code:
sudo shutdown - h now

Put in your password and hit Enter.

hey iv been using Desktop Linux for 8 years now and I still dont know even half of what it has to offer. i had this issue once in bspwm with firefox. i rebuilt my profile again and fixed it. but i am not sure its the same issue. as for ssh you would need to enable it. ill send instructions.

sudo systemctl enable sshd
sudo systemctl start sshd

if you know your pcs ip you can login with your_username@host_ip_address on a phone app or other machine that has access to ssh.

I do as example if i were to ssh locally to my machine i would do
[email protected]

but for the freezing i think its best for others to help but this is a work around for not having to force shutdown your pc. once you ssh in just do sudo shutdown.
Ok i am very grateful for spending your time in giving me solutions

IF your laptop's all locked up and froze try holding down CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 to get a terminal.
If you get a terminal you can shut down w/o performing a hard shut down by running this:

Code:
sudo shutdown - h now

when this happened to me it would not let me get into any tty sessions lol

Code:
sudo shutdown - h now

It doesnt let me go to a tty when it freezes

It doesnt let me go to a tty when it freezes
That's a real bummer.

Have you tried putting other Linux distro's on that laptop and still get the same result?

Yes, with every linux distro the same situation applies, sadly.
In that case it could be the GPU or a kernel issue.

Sometimes a pc can be so new that the kernel it's using doesn't have support for that particular hardware.

Have a look at the dmesg log that might provide a clue in the output.

Does the freezing happen when running Firefox or You Tube videos?

Last edited:
Our member @brickwizard is very good with this sort of thing.

Let's see what he says.
I listed the link to your machine so he can read the spec's.

In that case it could be the GPU or a kernel issue.

Sometimes a pc can be so new that the kernel it's using doesn't have support for that particular hardware.

Have a look at the dmesg log that might provide a clue in the output.

Does the freezing happen when running Firefox or You Tube videos?
It happens at any time, even if i am alone in the terminal.

Your welcome-:)

It could also be an acpi issue but let's wait for @brickwizard .
Actually, the journalctl log displays some acpi erros, if that is of any utility:

Jan 03 10:43:56 arch-box kernel: ACPI Error: No handler for Region [CMS1] (00000000ea25dbef) [SystemCMOS] (20210730/evregion-130)

Jan 03 10:43:56 arch-box kernel: ACPI Error: Region SystemCMOS (ID=5) has no handler (20210730/exfldio-261)

Jan 03 10:43:56 arch-box kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.IETM.GDDV due to previous error (AE_NOT_EXIST) (20210730/psparse-529)

Staff online

Members online