MXLinux: SSD invisible

foobar900

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I've been a happy user of MXLinux on a macbook air (with a SSD, encrypted). Today I compiled a new kernel and unfortunately the machine did not boot anymore: whatever kernel I tried to boot, the system does not ask for the password to unlock the partition anymore
and instead falls back to the initramfs BusyBox.

If I "exit", I get a message saying
"Gave up waiting for root file system device […] ALERT! UUID=xxxx does not exist. Dropping to a shell"
Indeed, the given UUID does not show up when I do a blkid. I tried to edit the grub entries to put the "correct" UUID (essentially, the UUID appears 3 times in a grub entry, the first two are OK, the third one is the weird unknown one. But changing it does not help (same message, but with the "correct UUID" this time).

I thought I'd solve things using a live MXLinux on a USB stick, but here the weirder things begin: if I boot a live MXLinux (21, wildflowers), there is no trace of my SSD anymore. No program I could think of seems to find it.

But let me point out that when I try a "normal" boot as above (via grub), the dmesg shows the SSD is indeed found:
"sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 49023xxx 512-byte logical blocks: (251 GB/234 GiB)"
and so one, with 4 partitions sda1 to sda4.
ending with
"sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk".

I don't know what to do from here… commands in this BusyBox seem quite limited.
I'm fine with reinstalling everything, but I'd like to be able to make a copy of my encrypted home (well, with being able to uncrypt it also at some point!).

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

when you installed the new kernel did you update initramfs -u once everything is correct run
Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u

Interesting scenario, I wonder if @foobar900 found a fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts