MX Linux shutdown problem...

johnnyb

Reaction score
Credits
I have MX Linux on a HP cmxxxx laptop and it WILL not shutdown or restart. This has happened on MX everytime I have installed it. Do I need MX Linux for dummies, or can someone that has ran across this problem help out an Old Fart!!! Getting to old to learn new tricks... Tanks in advance.

G'day @johnnyb :)

Enlighten us with some more details, such as screenshots or error messages, so we can get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Was MX running Ok up until when? Updates, some other change?

Do you have Timeshift on it?

The more you tell us/show us, the better.

Cheers

Wiz

It has NEVER work right on shutdown/restart all I get is system restarting/shutting down now final screen during that phase of it. I started with MX 19 and went 19.2 same results. At that time I'm unable to take screenshot at that time unless I take a pic with me phone. It just sits there with the bar being full. Do you suggest that I attach a bulky pic ? ? ?

Enlighten us with some more details, such as screenshots or error messages, so we can get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Cheers

Wiz
To update, I have not had it to work from out da gate...ALWAYS had dis prob on me HP laptop. Don't do Timeshift, to much like MicroJunk Recovery mode. I just backup da drive (reliable). I cannot say anymore than what has been written so far...It has never restarted/shutdown EVER science first install. Just sits on the final screen nothing to see at that point. Tanks away. Peace.

Cheers

Wiz
On MX 19x I have now seen TimeShift

Our good friend Brian @Condobloke says of Timeshift is that the biggest difference between Windows Restore and Timeshift is that Timeshift works :)

I run about 56 Distros, and Timeshift them about once a fortnight. In addition to that, I use it maybe 10 times a week for other purposes (such as moving a Distro from Point A to Point B, or reinstating it at the top of my Grub Menu), do the maths, and that is possibly 10,000 uses or more over 6 years.

In that time, I have experienced maybe 2 errors, and they were just as likely PEBKAC rather than due to Timeshift itself.

BTW for those unaware - PEBKAC means Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :)

Wiz

We used to use the "ID-10T" error.

I opened the door to these jokers, so I guess I can't really scold them without scolding myself, and @KGIII is a Douglas Adams fan to boot, so doubly difficult.

@johnnyb , from

On MX 19x I have now seen TimeShift

Does that mean you have MX-19 running, or is it still kaput? If the latter, then I would repeat my comments at #4 above.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online