MX Linux - audio not working

rudrani1971

Reaction score
Credits
Happy late Monday!

After I updated my system per the Package Manager, my audio stopped working.

I tested to make sure my earbuds hadn't conked out; they hadn't. I tweaked the volume controls on both VLC and Clementine; they worked fine.

Working with a Dell Latitude D830, 32 bit.

Any and all recommendations would be gladly welcome.

Try installing Pulse Audio Volume Control

I am not familiar with MX....but seeing it is a Linux, it should have a software manager?

Open the terminal and type:
alsamixer

Raise up the columns and unmute what is muted. To move to each column use the left and right arrow keys. To raise the volume on the pcm or others use the arrow key pointing up.

To unmunte a column type the m key.
Close the terminal when done.

See if that helps.

Ok everyone,

I tried both suggestions. un-muted all the bars that were muted that read "MM" in alsamixer, cranked up the levels of volumes, etc. then rebooted the laptop. Nothing.

Same with the volume ctrl program that @Condobloke suggested. Nothing.

Seems like I'm back to the drawing board.... ;P

Just to cover the basics......have you rebooted since updating ?
Are you really sure there is not a 'mute' button/icon in the system tray (near the clock)....or a sound manager in the same spot that you can click on to reveal some settings..?...

package manager is supplementary to Synaptic, which is the actual Update Manager

Have you set up Timeshift yet?.....it works in similar fashion to system restore. It is a good idea to set up to take a snapshot at least once per month...more often when you are just starting and are more prone to errors/mistakes etc
Sending the snapshots to an external hdd is good practise.

Last edited:
MX Linux No Sound Solved:

Try a speaker test 'without ear buds or headphones' and see if that works.

speaker-test -c2 -t wav

Troubleshooting Sound in Linux

IF you decide to use this troubleshooting tutorial for sound on your system make sure you write down the changes you have made. Otherwise; you won't know what you've done and could make an even bigger mess for yourself not knowing what you did.

@rudrani1971 I note the title has been edited to add the word >solved<

Care to share how ?

Basically I gave up and used dd in terminal to flash the Linux Mint "Tricia" ISO to my USB drive, which I used to install on my hd. balenaEtcher wouldn't work so I used the command line.

so nothing worked...not even balena etcher to create a bootable usb

Please remove the >solved< from the title.

Latest posts