Reaction score
Credits
How do i add more hard drives to my pc?
Distro Linux Mint 20.1
Motherboard) ASUS P7P55D PRO ,BiOS Version0209,CPU i5-750,
RAM 16GB DDR 1333MHz
Hard drive) WL 2t SATA3 7200RPM
Graphics card) NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 690]

I am thanking about a adding a second hard drive but I dont know how. i know the physical part but not the rest.
One for the OS will be (2tb SATA3) the other for video, photos, music, games…
will be (2tb-4tb) depending on the price. :eek:

Warning i am still a noob. LOL

I have looked online for tutorial but all I can find is tutorials for adding drives to virtual machines, raids, and people giving instructions i dont understand. (Thats on me):)

P.S. LOL i remember years ago thanking " How in the h*** would i ever fill a 100gb hard drive?!"

You can just physically add it. The OS will likely know it's there and mount it automatically. You will probably want to format it EXT4, as it's not coming formatted for Linux. If you want to put more effort into it, you can move /home to it easily enough, just remember to copy stuff there before making the change.

LOL That was a Noob question!! Thank you.

not a problem you will need
1 spare caddy [depending on the physical size of your chosen drive, you may need a caddy adaptor]& mounting screws
a SATA cable
a spare SATA connection on the motherboard

Something I don't know, as I've never tried it. Can you slave SATA like you could IDE? They don't have jumpers on 'em anymore.

not a problem you will need
1 spare caddy [depending on the physical size of your chosen drive, you may need a caddy adaptor]& mounting screws
a SATA cable
a spare SATA connection on the motherboard
Thank you. i have two drives that are clones of the one i am using and a 1tb that i used to test this.
Thank i got six more SATA connection on the motherboard. lol thank i got 14-15 old iDE drives to.

Last edited:
Something I don't know, as I've never tried it. Can you slave SATA like you could IDE? They don't have jumpers on 'em anymore.
The old master slave days.

BTY added a HDD it worked fine. Thank you both and God bless.

The old master slave days.

FWIW, I did a five minute or so Google dive and I think SATA (or S-ATA) is single channel. So, each needs to be on its own channel. That means no master/slave configurations to deal with. Though, I suppose that also means there's a limitation.

i found a 2tb drive (forgot i had) i had setup for duel boot win7/linux mint and installed it. Lol ill start a new thread about that. (maybe tomorrow night) FYI it involves formatting partitions,five reboots and a system recovery.

To add an internal storage Drive is easy...all you need is a Drive...SATA cable and some screws.
m1213.gif

With the computer turned off and power unplugged...I also use an anti-static strap...
If it's a HDD (3.5 inch) just slide it in to the Drive bay and screw it in and connect SATA cable to HDD and Motherboard.
m1216.gif

If it's an SSD and you don't have a SSD port...you'll need to buy a SSD bracket...you will need smaller screws for the SSD and do as above. Once the side cover is back on and the power cable to the computer is plugged back in...Re-Boot and the new Drive should auto-mount.

You will need to format the new Drive otherwise it wont work...format it to either EXT4 or NTFS. I don't have internal storage Drives anymore as I don't see the need but that's me.
m1219.gif

The days of PATA HDDs...jumpers ( master and slave) and 40 pin IDE cables are long gone...I think it's been more than 20 years now.
m0115.gif

i dont know how i got it in my head but i was thinking i would have to use terminal and change stuff.:rolleyes:

The days of PATA HDDs...jumpers ( master and slave) and 40 pin IDE cables are long gone...I think it's been more than 20 years now.
m0115.gif
i hope they com back i still have a big box of new IDE cables

m0115.gif

I'd never tried to slave one before, so I had no idea if it was possible from a tech standpoint.

It turns out that the answer is 'no'.

i being a smart a$$ LOL
no point buying an adaptor for PATA Drives that no longer exist either.
m0103.gif
Some of us old farts dont trow stuff away got PATA Drives with win 95,98, windows 2000... on them. o_O WHY in the HE## am i saveing them i hate windows.o_O now i have a new winter project going threw them and pulling photos and deleting the drives. Thanks :)

i being a smart a$$ LOL

Some of us old farts dont trow stuff away got PATA Drives with win 95,98, windows 2000... on them. o_O WHY in the HE## am i saveing them i hate windows.o_O now i have a new winter project going threw them and pulling photos and deleting the drives. Thanks :)
I have a 20GB PATA Drive...it's a great paper weight and I got an old computer from a computer shop years ago to pull apart...came with windwoes 98...has a CD Drive...Floppy Drive...a PATA Drive...IDE cables...USB 1 port...serial port...printer port...had to hook it up to a CRT monitor and the only thing useful now are a few screws.
m01101.gif

Latest posts