Multi boot problem: no operating System

G

GreenCSE

When i am trying to give multi OS, Ubuntu beside Windows 8, then in the time selecting partition it shows that
This computer has no Operating System.
1.Erase all the files and Install Ubuntu
4.something else
if here i select 4 and watching that it is showing my disk of 500GB free.
But i have given multi OS in another mahine. there i got option give ubuntu beside 8, and other 3 option same.
in this stage if i dont install ubuntu, and exit in the time of next start it is showing that please insert an boot device and press any key. then i have give OS again.
Please Help me...
The machine is
HP-14d008TU
Intel Pentium 2020M (2.4Ghz)
RAM 2048MB DDR3 SDRAM
500GB Hard Drive

Actually, i have desire to use multiboot but wheres i am not able to give dual boot , how i dare for multiboot. i have desire to use one Windows version and more than two Linux destro.
Ok, thanks for giving me the link. I will give my feedback soon.

I had the same problem once. Probably your windows 8 has a feature called Secure Boot, this makes really annoying to install any other OS, since you can't see with the default procedure the W8 OS, what makes mandatory to format the whole disk or you can use the Something Else.

Now this is tricky. You can damage you W8 OS if you just install ubuntu over, even if you make more partitions.

First, you need to re-install W8 and create the partitions of your system. Like:

- 200 GB -> W8
- 200 GB -> Data
- 100 GB -> Free

After that you can install the Ubuntu in the Free partition, but you need to use the Something Else option. Then you create:

- Swap partition: with the size of your RAM (or 2 times, my choice)
- Ext4 Partition: With the rest of your free space, where you will put your Ubuntu. Mount point: /

And let the installer to do the rest of the job. After that, I turned off my Secure Boot option, in the BIOS menu.

This is the way I solved, I'm sharing it because it may help you, but the link arochester gave you will give some more accurate info about the procedure.

The only thing is that I couldn't install the Ubuntu only by using the partition tool on W8, I had to re-install it.

Good luck :D

Windoze Hate....The perfect reason to switch to Linux.

If you like to run a multi boot machine, you bootloader must be grub, you can not boot a linux machine with a windows boot loader, please install windows and then go with the installation of your linux machie.

I had a multi system "windows 7 and CentOS 6.5". After change windows 7 to windows 8.1 GRUB disappeared and now CentOS is unavailable. Please help me to restore GRUB again.

Members online