MSI GF65 Thin 10SER + Linux?

Jumbureto

Reaction score
Credits
Hello LINUX users,
I am seeking advice about the following:
I bought a MSI GF65 Thin 10SER laptop (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GF65-Thin-10SX/Specification) almost an year ago... without OS thinking I could install the LINUX on it.

=> MINT did not recognize the my WiFi (and it was not possible to set an Ethernet connection) NOTE! WiFi was working when booting from the USB before installing it;​
=> KUBUNTU does a lot of mistakes (when connecting a TV - it resizes all items on the screen to the smallest; it has some loop ERR when trying to turn off/restart the computer / it does not allow to edit files on different drive then the one where the Lunux is installed etc)... so I do not use it because it is too much trouble to repair it​
=> some graphic card issues also...​

Could you please advise on a distribution I could install to be able to properly use the laptop?
I am beginner, I simply want to migrate from MS to LNX and never look back, if you get what I mean.
Thank you for the suggestions and advice! Best regards, Lina

Looking at the specs of your laptop I see you have a Nvidia RTX 2060.
You will have to install the driver to assist with the graphic issues.

I'm guessing that Mint had the driver in the kernel for your WiFi when you booted off of the Live Mint USB. During the installation of Mint it should have asked you for the wifi passphrase.

You might have to install a driver for your 802.11 ax Wi-Fi 6 card however; I could be wrong.

To find out the exact wifi card that you have boot up the Live Mint USB and run this command:
lspci

It looks like no matter what distro you choose you will still have to install the Linux driver for your Nvidia GPU.

Thank you for the recommendation
I should give a second chance to the Mint
And check this forum - indeed, it seems to have a lot of useful information!

Thank you for the recommendation
I should give a second chance to the Mint
And check this forum - indeed, it seems to have a lot of useful information!
You're Welcome-:)

Let us know how things go.

Members online