MOzilla and GoOgle chrome issues

NORD

Reaction score
Credits
Running Linux Mint, and every time I minimize a window I can't seem to find the window I minimized. And when I click on the browser Icon it starts a new page? Also they don't show up in the window desktop display button by the menu. What gives?

G'day Tobey :)

1. Are you still running 'Tessa' MATE 19.1?

2. Have you forced any shutdowns, where a browser may have been open at the time, or are you aware of any power outages?

3. Do you have a current Timeshift snapshot to revert to?

4. Is it definitely Google Chrome browser, or it is Chromium?

5. Does the same thing happen with both Browsers?

6, Can you take a picture or two to illustrate?

On the windows minimised, a workaround is that Alt-Tab will show you any open Apps/windows, just as it does with Windows.

Wiz

Do you have hibernation or sleep enabled ? Try it without

In Terminal, (ctrl+alt+t)

gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel

Thanks for the responses I will do my best to answer the questions . Yes it does happen with both browsers,still running Tessa mate 19.1.
No power outages and yes I have forced shut down.
My Timeshift is a week old, and neither browser keeps the data on tab. Chrome always asks restore pages?
OMG lol! I didn't know about alt / tab ....I feel like such a moron haha!

OK a little brainstorming here. I am thinking out loud, if you turn up your volume you may hear me. :rolleyes:

Forcing a shutdown when a Browser is open can damage some little suckers within the program (tech talk, not).

If both Firefox and Chrome are in your Panel as icons, they are both running. Even though you may be using Firefox Chrome is open and vice-versa. The Panel is like a Windows Quick Launch tray, same applies with System Tray.

In the old days we used to refer in Windows to TSRs - Terminate and Stay Resident Devices.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION ONE - DO NOT IMPLEMENT UNTIL YOU TRY No.2 !

Either Firefox or Chrome or both may not have shut down completely from their previous session/s.

At Terminal run the following two (2) commands

Code:
killall firefox

#and

killall chrome

Reboot, and report on any differences found.

My Timeshift is a week old

That's OK, some of my Timeshift snaps get to 4 weeks old before I go through them and update.

But (you know Wizard's but is never far behind him) -

Always be aware that Timeshift is not a typical backup and restore program, its author Tony George says as much.

When restoring, it will not prompt you that a file it is about to replace is newer than the one held in the snap, do you wish to replace yes/no?

So data you have created since the last snap could be lost.

We'll call this "New Essential Data"

If you wish to safeguard against that, you could open your File Manager (Caja in your case), and navigate to the Folder/s where you save things. With Home, they could be in Pictures, Videos, Docs, Music. There might be an application you have installed which saves data in a file or folder "within itself", a high score in a game might be an example, where it took you forever to get to Level 39. :D

Sorry, must have pressed Post Reply too soon! :confused:

Still in Caja, navigate to where you store your Timeshift snapshots. One of mine has a folder in its Snapshots folder called

2019-01-20_12-49-01

... so that was taken at 12:49PM on 20th January.

While you are identifying that New Essential Data, you can use List view (default might be Icons) to show full details and at right where it has Date Modified, click that header and you can toggle between newest or oldest chronologically. Compare that against the date-timestamp on your Timeshift snapshot, and you will have a good chance of capturing all that data.

Save the data elsewhere, then run a Restore from Timeshift, return the data to where it was, and you are good to continue :)

OR

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 2 - FAR MORE LIKELY :p:p

These Posts after remembering something I encountered.

See screenshot below

jEa9fps.png

WIZARD'S TESSA MATE DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS OPEN AND MINIMISED

Betcha what you are looking for is those minimised windows??

Tricky problem with simple answer.

In my panel I have menu followed by 4 icons, 4th is Firefox.

I have Synaptic Package Manager, FF, Terminal and GParted all open and minimised.

Then I have a bunch of other icons, first being Timeshift, followed by GParted, GTKHash, Synaptic &c.

Over to the right, I have manually moved my Solitaire (red heart on playing card) and between them is Workspaces.

At far right is System Tray.

I am betting you have a "middle" bunch of icons by now, and if you imagine on your middle bunch they start with Firefox and Chrome where mine are Timeshift and GTKHash, your bunch of icons are flush against the left-hand bunch. Yes?

When I had that sort of setup, the solution was to manually move the middle bunch to the right (right-click each and move).

Then the minimised windows reappear!

This is a bug that only happened I think with 19.1, maybe 19.0 - I have not reported it.

If this is the case with you, then your minimised Browser sessions are hidden, and each time you click on your FF or Chrome icons, you are launching a new session with no tabs open or new tabs available.

So try moving those icons and report back.

BTW all the stuff in Solution 1 is valid for other troubleshooting purposes :D

Wizard