Move Oracle VM to USB

Reaction score
Credits
So I have a few different Oracle VirtualBox VMs with the extension pack installed on a Linux Mint host OS. I'm trying to move the location of the .vdi and other VM files onto a USB drive to save storage space.

This video shows how to do it, by right clicking on the VM and hitting Move:

The problem is that I don't see USB, any external stuff, or even the 1st left most column as a choice like the video does.

When I want to move one of my VMs to an External HDD...I always use the Export feature. :)

It doesn't remove the VM from the Drive but you can delete it and still have it saved..eg VM stops working or your Drive fails...you don't have to re-install from scratch.
happy0006.gif

I have 3 VMs totaling 85GB but it's not a problem as they are on a 500GB SSD...if I wanted more space I'd Export one or two and then delete them from my Drive....when you need the VM...just Import it back.
happy0034.gif

Here's a video that might help...

If you have to do a clean install of your Distro...just install Virtualbox and Import you VM back...simple.
happy0060.gif

Last edited:
When I want to move one of my VMs to an External HDD...I always use the Export feature. :)

It doesn't remove the VM from the Drive but you can delete it and still have it saved..eg VM stops working or your Drive fails...you don't have to re-install from scratch.
happy0006.gif

I have 3 VMs totaling 85GB but it's not a problem as they are on a 500GB SSD...if I wanted more space I'd Export one or two and then delete them from my Drive....when you need the VM...just Import it back.
happy0034.gif

Here's a video that might help...

If you have to do a clean install of your Distro...just install Virtualbox and Import you VM back...simple.
happy0060.gif
Oh snap this video helped me realize the problem. I can access the USB drives via the Media folder of the non-personal files folder. I was expecting this on the left like the GUI of the guy in the first video

The structure of Linux files is confusing beyond the personal files folders

I don't know what..."The structure of Linux files" has to do with Exporting your VM.
confused0024.gif

Virtualbox creates a Folder in Home called VirtualBox VMs by default...when you create a VM...that's where it goes.
Here's the easy way...open Virtualbox select your VM...go to File...Export...you can save it anywhere on the computer. I've saved my VM to the VirtualBox VMs Folder as you can see...it's the orange box.

I now plug in my External HDD and cut and paste it...done. I can now delete it in Virtualbox if I wish...to Import it back...plug in my HDD cut and paste or copy and paste it to the Desktop...open Virtualbox and select Import...easy.
happy0006.gif

The structure of Linux files is confusing beyond the personal files folders

You're gonna want to have some understanding of the directory structure. So, I did some digging:

Linux-Directory-Structure.jpeg

See also:

Staff online