Most secure and Easiest to use Linux Distro for new users in Sep 2018.

Most secure and Easiest to use Linux Distro for new users. September 2018

• Total voters

NickBBB

Reaction score
Credits
I am wondering everyone's thoughts on the best Linux distro for a new user that seeks security, anonymity, and ease of use. I am aware that live booting and VM's are a thing, but also want to know what people think for the primary distro. Thank for your input. :)

I'm a Mint user, so I voted for Mint. To me it was the most similar to Windows, and it had a very easy learning curve. I have been using Mint Cinnamon for over 5 years now. Of course, I would recommend you download several versions that catch your interest, and try a live session or install in a virtual machine. You can even burn them to a DVD. You see, most all of the current popular versions are easy to install, and very easy to use. Hell, they are easy to burn to a DVD or thumb drive. Make your decision that way, you will be happier in the long run.

This site has over 1000 Linux distros to look over, with brief descriptions. https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major It will also give you instructions on how to download the distro and a link.

If you choose Mint, got to their site for specific instructions.
https://www.linuxmint.com/
They also have a very helpful community, but it isn't as nice and personalized as this forum.

Good Luck! And, Welcome to Linux.org!

Hi Nick, just a heads up that you have two entries there for Mint, you can possibly edit that yourself, or I likely can, perhaps take out the bottom entry?

I'll swing back and vote a little later.

Cheers

Wizard

Hi Nick, just a heads up that you have two entries there for Mint, you can possibly edit that yourself, or I likely can, perhaps take out the bottom entry?

I'll swing back and vote a little later.

Cheers

Wizard
I went to edit, I did not have the option to remove one of the mints. Thank you for the heads up.

I can't vote on this.

I will say that Linux Mint is the easiest for a new user to migrate from Windows to Linux.

For the most Linux Mint is very secure although Linux Mint doesn't install all of the updates as Ubuntu or Debian as the Linux Mint devs use a number level system for updating.

The Linux Mint devs claim that certain upper level updates can cause problems although I've never experienced this installing all updates.

To be fair and honest I believe that all Linux Distros are secure as virus and malware attacks seem to be few and far between although nothing is bulletproof.

the best Linux distro for a new user that seeks security, anonymity, and ease of use
Hi Nick, and welcome! I'd say that pretty much all Linux distros are fairly secure, at least in comparison to Windows. I think that "ease of use" is personally subjective... what's easy for others may not be easy for me (yeah, I'm taking about Gnome 3 Shell here! :eek::confused::D). But anonymity is mostly what I stopped to comment on.... you did not mention the Tails Linux distro, which is about the only Linux that touts anonymity as a "feature."

Yet, it should be remembered that there really is no complete anonymity on the Internet, not even with Tails Linux. Anyone interested in this should be sure to carefully read their warning page.

I seem to find far too often that privacy and security is a trade off with convenience... and most people will choose convenience in spite of the risks. This is why so many people still use simple passwords, and re-use passwords among multiple sites or services. This is why so many people still have not put a "credit freeze" on their credit information with the major reporting bureaus, even though Equifax was one of the biggest breaches in U.S. history. This is like waiting for a car wreck before considering whether we should buy insurance. It makes me sad.

I can't vote on this.
Is there a problem?

Linux Mint doesn't install all of the updates as Ubuntu or Debian as the Linux Mint devs use a number level system for updating.
The Mint 19 Cinnamon I recently switched to defaults to installing everything. The numbering system is still in place in the Update Manager settings if folks want to change it to something less.

Cheers

Hi Nick, and welcome! I'd say that pretty much all Linux distros are fairly secure, at least in comparison to Windows. I think that "ease of use" is personally subjective... what's easy for others may not be easy for me (yeah, I'm taking about Gnome 3 Shell here! :eek::confused::D). But anonymity is mostly what I stopped to comment on.... you did not mention the Tails Linux distro, which is about the only Linux that touts anonymity as a "feature."

Yet, it should be remembered that there really is no complete anonymity on the Internet, not even with Tails Linux. Anyone interested in this should be sure to carefully read their warning page.

I seem to find far too often that privacy and security is a trade off with convenience... and most people will choose convenience in spite of the risks. This is why so many people still use simple passwords, and re-use passwords among multiple sites or services. This is why so many people still have not put a "credit freeze" on their credit information with the major reporting bureaus, even though Equifax was one of the biggest breaches in U.S. history. This is like waiting for a car wreck before considering whether we should buy insurance. It makes me sad.

I am aware of tails, but I was trying to use only the options I saw on top of the download page on the Linux site. If it was there, I missed it. I had planned on doing live boot into tails when need be. I also know that even with every typical safety measure I could take....tails, tor, vpn chains, firewalls, public wifi on non personal computer, proxies, etc...there is no true anonymity.

Putting that into perspective, I suppose for the main operating system I could have left the secure part out of the poll.

Is there a problem?

The Mint 19 Cinnamon I recently switched to defaults to installing everything. The numbering system is still in place in the Update Manager settings if folks want to change it to something less.

Cheers
No there is no problem I'm just saying that for me I can't vote on the given reasons I guess I should have said that.

I guess it does all depend on how the updates are set up.
For me I install all of the updates and have never had any problems.

I guess I'm still use to the old way of the update system of Linux Mint.

My life story always behind the times and a few days late.:eek:o_O

Oh well right.:confused:

It's all Linux so it's good imo.:)

Those who voted Kali as "an easy distro to use".......that is not correct.

I've voted for Mint. Whether it is Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce (and also with the former KDE) it is easy-peasy. Other than that it would be Ubuntu but MATE only.

Security? I call it

Code:
sudo ufw enable

and have a firewall at your router. I don't use AV or AntiMalware on Linux, never have.

Hey Brian, the Kali voters may have been referencing security? And if they are sysadmins, the ease of use may be there?

My number one vote, and has followed me since its version 14, for ease of use would be MX Linux, currently MX-17.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/

and

https://mxlinux.org/

Easy-peasy, lots of good whistles and bells, runs on sysvinit by default, but systemd can be enabled to compare, based on Debian Stretch. Doesn't run anymore on non-PAE but MX-16 does, and MX-16 is based on Debian Jessie and will continue to receive support as long as Jessie is there, and Debian say that that is for the foreseeable future.

Also gob-smackingly wonderful wallpapers, amongst the best. IMO.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Nice poll, Nick

upload_2018-9-21_17-15-14.jpeg

Hey everyone, I found out that my ex wife had a couple of old dead laptops sitting in her house here and got them running. I installed Ubuntu Mate on one and Linux mint on the other to test things out before I touch my desktop. Today, I am going to play around with program installs, disable the on board wifi adapter on one, and throw my dongle in it to test it out. I appreciate all of the help and am glad there is such a helpful community here to lean on. Have a great weekend!

-nick

Staff online

Members online