More consumer products that "just work" on linux

C

CrazedNerd

A long time ago, i had a razr light up keyboard for windows that i later resold because the keys were hard to press. I was a little worried about trying the same thing with linux because i think that one needed drivers, yet maybe those were just there so you could control the nature of the lighting.

I recently bought two light up keyboards from best buy with the plan of returning them immediately if they didn't work, but they both did. One of them was hyperx, the other was razr, they both have worked flawlessly but i returned the razr one because the keys were a little harder to press down.

Last edited by a moderator:

NOT RECOMMENDED: Das Keyboard "Q"

I have a Das Keyboard 5Q keyboard running on my Mac. (The current version of my keyboard is the "5QS".) Each key is backlit. Individual keys can be set to any color or unlit. Das Keyboard offers a collection of "applets" that you can run, or you can write your own in Javascript. The applets can use the key backlighting as an information display. There are applets to show you the weather, stock market values, if a server is down, etc.

I use two applets. One is the Weather USA applet. The Weather USA applet uses four keys to show you the weather forecast for today and the next three days, where Yellow=sun, Purple=overcast, Blue=rain, and Red=Thunderstorms. The other applet I use is the CPU Usage applet, where a row of 10 keys progressively illuminates like a horizontal bar meter to show CPU usage.

Das Keyboard has Q software that supports Linux. IMPORTANT: Some Q keyboards do not support Linux, so pay attention. Although Das Keyboard was well-established as a company, the Q product line started as a Kickstarter "investment." The original 5Q was very late and the software is still awful. To use it, they force you to authenticate with their servers over the internet, which I detest. They claim that their Linux software supports Ubuntu and some versions mention Mint. Either way, people have complained about the Linux software, and I do not think that they invest much in Linux software testing, so you take your chances.

I have never tried connecting the 5Q keyboard to a Linux system myself. My Linux systems are all virtual machines or VPSs. A long time ago, I connected the Das Keyboard 4Q to a Windows virtual machine to update the firmware, but it took a special configuration with a second keyboard. At some point, the keyboard could be updated directly from macOS, and I am not eager to repeat the experience just to see the Linux software, so sorry.

Das Keyboard had a chance to own this market by releasing their software as open source, and they should have never required an active online connection with authentication just to use their software. Enthusiasm for the 5Q was high back then and the number of applets and market would have exploded. For whatever reason, the software remains closed and starved of resources, the world moved on, and Das Keyboard missed their golden opportunity. They still come out with new models, but now they are "niche". Sad, really.

-> The only reason I am posting this is because @CrazedNerd mentioned keyboards specifically for Linux. This is an example of a quality keyboard with specialized Linux software to program the backlighting. Repeating: NOT recommended, due to poor software and an authentication requirement.

NOT RECOMMENDED: Das Keyboard "Q"

I have a Das Keyboard 5Q keyboard running on my Mac. (The current version of my keyboard is the "5QS".) Each key is backlit. Individual keys can be set to any color or unlit. Das Keyboard offers a collection of "applets" that you can run, or you can write your own in Javascript. The applets can use the key backlighting as an information display. There are applets to show you the weather, stock market values, if a server is down, etc.

I use two applets. One is the Weather USA applet. The Weather USA applet uses four keys to show you the weather forecast for today and the next three days, where Yellow=sun, Purple=overcast, Blue=rain, and Red=Thunderstorms. The other applet I use is the CPU Usage applet, where a row of 10 keys progressively illuminates like a horizontal bar meter to show CPU usage.

Das Keyboard has Q software that supports Linux. IMPORTANT: Some Q keyboards do not support Linux, so pay attention. Although Das Keyboard was well-established as a company, the Q product line started as a Kickstarter "investment." The original 5Q was very late and the software is still awful. To use it, they force you to authenticate with their servers over the internet, which I detest. They claim that their Linux software supports Ubuntu and some versions mention Mint. Either way, people have complained about the Linux software, and I do not think that they invest much in Linux software testing, so you take your chances.

I have never tried connecting the 5Q keyboard to a Linux system myself. My Linux systems are all virtual machines or VPSs. A long time ago, I connected the Das Keyboard 4Q to a Windows virtual machine to update the firmware, but it took a special configuration with a second keyboard. At some point, the keyboard could be updated directly from macOS, and I am not eager to repeat the experience just to see the Linux software, so sorry.

Das Keyboard had a chance to own this market by releasing their software as open source, and they should have never required an active online connection with authentication just to use their software. Enthusiasm for the 5Q was high back then and the number of applets and market would have exploded. For whatever reason, the software remains closed and starved of resources, the world moved on, and Das Keyboard missed their golden opportunity. They still come out with new models, but now they are "niche". Sad, really.

-> The only reason I am posting this is because @CrazedNerd mentioned keyboards specifically for Linux. This is an example of a quality keyboard with specialized Linux software to program the backlighting. Repeating: NOT recommended, due to poor software and an authentication requirement.
I agree with you, it's sad that they botched such an interesting programmable keyboard...

I still have a couple of Model M keyboards left, along with the adapter to use them via USB.

I plan on using them as weapons when the zombie bears attack.

With me, it's webcams.

I'm one of those who research hardware before I buy it to use with Puppy. I'm not seduced by a dab of glitter & a lick of chrome; I don't care what an item looks like, so long as it's functional.....and works OOTB with Linux.

I'd been after a Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' 'cam for some years, but the normally 3-figure + price tag put me off for a long time. This one not only works OOTB - via the kernel module UVC driver; it even says so on the packaging, believe it or not, amongst all the Windows- & Mac-certification crap - but it looks the part, too.

4 years ago, I snagged one in the PCWorld Black Friday sale for just £39.99 (MRSP is normally a little over £100). They were clearing out 'old stock' to make way for the hyper-expensive 'Brio' range from Logitech.....4K, and every toy you can think of (and then some). It was well worth the lengthy wait; the picture is absolutely superb. I've been so impressed with it, I've bought a second one for the Dell Latitude.

It's a classic, that's been around for over a decade.....yet despite that 'vintage' aura, it's the most widely-used webcam in the world. And with good reason; Logitech, right from the word go, managed (whether by luck, or judgement, I couldn't say) to get the output more natural-looking than many far more expensive 'cams that have appeared since. It's only 1080p, and 30 fps, but that's all right.....Skype, Zoom, Slack, and most other video chat/streaming services limit you to 720p @ 30 fps anyway, so 4K would just be a waste of bandwidth.

---------------------------------------------------

It's inspired a host of design 'copycats'. I bought a cheapo Trust webcam about 4-5 years ago - only GBP £15 - that's obviously meant to 'look' the same. The kernel didn't even see it. But it wasn't a complete waste; it had a decent 360-degree swivel ball-joint mount, that could be detached, so I unscrewed it and adapted an M$ Lifecam 3000 to use it.

Fast-forward to last year; the same cam was on sale price, even cheaper. I wanted another ball-joint, so part of it would get used regardless. They must have changed the chipset, 'cos this time it was recognised immediately. As it happens, after the Logitech it gives me the best picture out of ALL my other cams, so I ended up with quite a bargain in the end! And Trust's unique flexi-grip mounting arm is one of the best webcam mounts I've found anywhere.....

I'm well-chuffed wi' both these cams, despite being at opposite ends of the price spectrum..!

Mike. :D

Last edited:
I still have a couple of Model M keyboards left, along with the adapter to use them via USB.

I plan on using them as weapons when the zombie bears attack.
I doubt that will work without zombie bear repellent.

With me, it's webcams.

I'm one of those who research hardware before I buy it to use with Puppy. I'm not seduced by a dab of glitter & a lick of chrome; I don't care what an item looks like, so long as it's functional.....and works OOTB with Linux.

I'd been after a Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' 'cam for some years, but the normally 3-figure + price tag put me off for a long time. This one not only works OOTB - via the kernel module UVC driver; it even says so on the packaging, believe it or not, amongst all the Windows- & Mac-certification crap - but it looks the part, too.

4 years ago, I snagged one in the PCWorld Black Friday sale for just £39.99. They were clearing out 'old stock' to make way for the hyper-expensive 'Brio' range from Logitech.....4K, and every toy you can think of (and then some). It was well worth the wait; the picture is absolutely superb. I've been so impressed with it, I've bought a second one for the Dell Latitude.

It's a classic, that's been around for over a decade.....yet despite that 'vintage' aura, it's the most widely-used webcam in the world. And with good reason; Logitech, right from the word go, managed (whether by luck, or judgement, I couldn't say) to get the output more natural-looking than many more expensive 'cams that have appeared in more recent years. It's only 1080p, and 30 fps, but that's all right.....Skype, Zoom, Slack, and most other video chat/streaming services limit you to 720p @ 30 fps anyway, so 4K would just be a waste of bandwidth.

It's inspired a host of design 'copycats'. I bought a cheapo Trust webcam about 4-5 years ago - only GBP £15. The kernel didn't even see it. But it wasn't a complete waste; it had a decent 360-degree swivel ball-joint mount, that could be detached, so I unscrewed it and adapted an M$ Lifecam 3000 to use it.

Fast-forward to last year; the same cam was on sale price, even cheaper. I wanted another ball-joint, so part of it would get used regardless. They must have changed the chipset, 'cos this time it was recognised immediately. As it happens, after the Logitech it gives me the best picture out of ALL my other cams, so I ended up with quite a bargain in the end!

Mike. :D
I mostly just bought it so i could keep working on programming during the night, while also being exposed heavily to natural darkness.

@CrazedNerd :-

I look at it this way, mate:-

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you arrive at your desired outcome, so long as you get there. The journey is at least as important as reaching your destination.....wouldn't you agree?

And I kind of enjoy eventually attaining a long-desired outcome. Especially when the result turns out to be even better than expected. It justifies the wait, and makes it all the more worthwhile.

Mike. :)

@CrazedNerd :-

I look at it this way, mate:-

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you arrive at your desired outcome, so long as you get there. The journey is at least as important as reaching your destination.....wouldn't you agree?

And I kind of enjoy eventually attaining a long-desired outcome. Especially when the result turns out to be even better than expected. It justifies the wait, and makes it all the more worthwhile.

Mike. :)
I sort of agree with that, sometimes you don't get there, and that's just as important. I've been pretty nervous about buying light-up keyboards online because most companies aren't expecting desktop users to abstain from MS or apple. I probably won't always be in that camp, but right now I feel more comfortable with just downloading operating systems rather than buying them and expecting them to work.

Members online

No members online now.