Modify netinstaller to install basic system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruah

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am a student and I am working on a personal project. I should modify the debian netinstaller iso to not download from the mirror but instead automatically proceed with all packages and configurations it has and install a very basic system. It shouldn't ask the user for a mirror website. I am not sure how to do this. Please give me a hand!

Welcome to the forums
I assume it is yourself, who has asked the question on Kali in the linuxquestions forums,

Sorry but unless you are fully competent at using a standard desktop Linux you should not even be attempting to use Kali, [read the Kali documentation in full]

Netinstaller for Linux is about a year old and apparently still has bugs [Google netinstaller for linux]

I'd download the iso and open with isomaster, to begin

Welcome to the forums
I assume it is yourself, who has asked the question on Kali in the linuxquestions forums,

Sorry but unless you are fully competent at using a standard desktop Linux you should not even be attempting to use Kali, [read the Kali documentation in full]

Netinstaller for Linux is about a year old and apparently still has bugs [Google netinstaller for linux]
What do you mean by being "fully competent?" I have been using kali for 2 years now and it's my main system.

Sorry for not explaining my question properly, also yes, it's me in the linuxquestions.org too. I should create a debian-installer that installs a very basic system just like the system netinstaller installs without mirroring. I should modify the installer such that it shouldn't prompt options like "KDE", "Gnome", "Standard system utilities". I tried replacing the packages of debian-11.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso with the packages of debian netinstaller. Now it's not prompting options except "standard system utilities" but I don't want the installer to not prompt it just because the packages are not there. I want to modify it so the installer should not prompt those options even if the packages are available (maybe by modifying the list of packages) but I don't know how to do it, which file to modify. I searched for the relevant files but couldn't find any. Please help with this

Last edited:
Kali isn't meant to be used as daily driver desktop but to be used as a tool in a vm or from a live-usb.

Last edited:
Kali isn't meant to be used as daily driver desktop but to be used as a tool in a vm or from a live-usb or as a dual boot.
Sure, but you can use as your main OS too. I do it because I am interested in penetration testing. I believe that having a certain OS comes from personal taste and desires, and there is nothing wrong with it.

https://www.kali.org/docs/introduction/should-i-use-kali-linux
This is the reason why Kali is not meant to be used as a daily driver for your desktop.
While Kali Linux is architected to be highly customizable, do not expect to be able to add random unrelated packages and repositories that are “out of band” of the regular Kali software sources and have it Just Work. In particular, there is absolutely no support whatsoever for the apt-add-repository command, LaunchPad, or PPAs. Trying to install Steam on your Kali Linux desktop is an experiment that will not end well. Even getting a package as mainstream as NodeJS onto a Kali Linux installation can take a little extra effort and tinkering.

You don't t need a topic like this to learn what you are looking for. You can just use your favorite search engine and search for something like "custom linux iso creator".
The only thing you may get from a topic like to this is inspiration from others.

Last edited:
You don't t need a topic like this to learn what you are looking for. You can just use your favorite search engine and death for something like "custom linux iso creator".

Bruh. This is not what I am looking for, it doesn't solve the problem. I have been searching the web for a while. Probably I didn't explain properly or you misunderstood my question

Bruh. This is not what I am looking for, it doesn't solve the problem. I have been searching the web for a while. Probably I didn't explain properly or you misunderstood my question
Please don't call me bruh you can call your real life buddies that. This more like it?

Please don't call me bruh you can call your real life buddies that. This more like it?
What do you mean by being "fully competent?" I have been using kali for 2 years now and it's my main system.

Sorry for not explaining my question properly, also yes, it's me in the linuxquestions.org too. I should create a debian-installer that installs a very basic system just like the system netinstaller installs without mirroring. I should modify the installer such that it shouldn't prompt options like "KDE", "Gnome", "Standard system utilities". I tried replacing the packages of debian-11.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso with the packages of debian netinstaller. Now it's not prompting options except "standard system utilities" but I don't want the installer to not prompt it just because the packages are not there. I want to modify it so the installer should not prompt those options even if the packages are available (maybe by modifying the list of packages) but I don't know how to do it, which file to modify. I searched for the relevant files but couldn't find any. Please help with this
No sir, I've already checked CUBIC. The quoted message above explains the problem in a bit more detail. I want to modify the debian installer to not prompt specific questions or edit the list of packages the installer installs when an option, let's say "standard system utilities" installs. I found out preseeding too but it's not really what I want to do. Sorry for not giving a detailed explanation in the main question

EDIT: I am not fully sure about preseed file yet, it may solve the problem. I am researching more about it

Last edited:
Ignore this post and skip to the next to continue with the thread. This is a personal comment.

PERSONAL COMMENT:
Please forgive me because I am new here.

I do not understand why Kali came up at all, nor why others are criticizing @Bruah for running Kali or for asking their question at the LinuxQuestions Kali forum. Neither of them has anything to do with the Debian installer question in the original post at the top of this page in the Linux.org forum.

-> Bruah informed us that they are a student and is asking for advice on how to create a Debian netinstaller that automatically installs a basic Debian system without user prompts. They provided additional information about the problem in subsequent posts.

I wish I could help, because I am looking into Linux network installation questions myself, centered around netboot.xyz and iPXE. I look forward to seeing the responses to Bruah's questions.

I do not understand why Kali came up at all,
Because he has already asked thee same question on the Kali forum of Linux questions,

Could someone please share the link to the thread at linuxquestions.org ?

Thanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The other option would be just to run a basic net install and then have a script or Anible Playbook that installs and configures all the software you want after the basic net install. It would be the same end result without having to create your own custom installer.

The following should also be possible for Debian Kali or with an alternative tool. I think that is what @Bruah is looking for.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you all. Seems like modifying preseed file is the deepest I can get into the debian installer modification

Status
Not open for further replies.