mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Is the card dead?

• Total voters

Neven Lovrić

Reaction score
Credits
I have a 16‐gigabyte‐(GB) SanDisk Ultra water‐, temperature‐, shock‐ / vibration‐, X‐ray‐, magnet‐, and impact‐proof Micro Secure Digital Extended Capacity (MicroSDXC) Ultra High Speed I (UHS‐I) card which used to work both using a SanDisk Universal Serial Bus (USB) adapter and the built‐in card reader.

Forum‐tag‐wise altered uname output:

Linux amnesia 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.4-1~bpo8+1 (2016-08-11) i686 GNU/Linux

Forum‐tag‐wise altered lspci output:

02:06.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30aa
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (1750ns min, 1000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at e8109000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [ size=256 ]
Capabilities: [ 80 ] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold-)
Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci

Forum‐tag‐wise altered dmesg output:

[ Jul16 19:04 ] tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:1
[ +3.827202 ] mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
[ +0.108523 ] mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

How to make it work again?

Last edited:

I have had some luck (and some failures) bringing USB sticks back to life, but unfortunately no experience with SD Cards. I read one suggestion that you put the card into a camera and let it format it, if it will... and that seems like a reasonable idea. It may be that fdisk or gdisk could help you to restore the drive with Linux, but I might also attempt to follow SanDisk's advice to use this tool to format the card and restore lost capacity (Window/Mac only).

But sometimes these things fail, like anything electronic. I hope that you can make it usable again, but you have probably lost whatever data it was storing. Let us know what you attempt, and if you have any success!

Members online