mke2fs problems

Blackted

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am trying to format an ext2 partiton using mke2fs, but when doing so the process asks for a start block (I use the default), but never prompts for an end block as I expect it to. I have checked on line and all examples given suggest that mke2fs should prompt for an end block. This gives me problems later, as i dont think the partition is very big once created! I am using Basic Linux 3, which fits onto a floppy disk (https://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/). The partition is created OK using fdisk, but I am obviously doing something wrong when it comes to formatting it.

I tried out the command on my dual boot Linux Mint, and it prompts for an end block as expected. Maybe its a bug in the version of mke2fs (version 2.12)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just realised its actually fdisk that I am having this issue with, not mke2fs!

G'day Blackted, and Welcome to linux.org

Why do you need to format that partition ?

I am adding a partition to an ms-dos formatted hard drive, so the new partition needs to be formatted to ext2 before i can put linux on it. Its fdisk i am having issues with, i cannot specify an end sector, so the partition is too small to put anything on i think!

If you were to put Linux on it anyway, Linux should do any formatting necessary during the install.

I am not absolutely sure of that, but there is every chance I am right.

If it wont fit you will just get an error message

If you specify that particular partition then try to install......if there is a problem it will just throw an error message and stop.

Ok thanks, I must admit this is an unusually small version of Linux that boots from a 3.5 floppy disk, with an option to add it to a hard drive partition if you want. I am fairly au fait with normal distros of Linux, including FreeBSD, Red Hat, Mint, Ubuntu et al, so this is just something I am playing around with, trying to use Linux on pretty old hardware. The machine in question is a Toshiba T2100 laptop, 486DX, 28Mb Ram and 250Mb HDD!

Looks like fun.

if it works, it works....if it doesnt, then another cup of coffee is called for....

Members online