MintPPC - problem with GRUB - Installation Failed

MacosTut

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there. I have a big problem. Im trying install MintPPC on my old iBook g4 (Im trying reborn this laptop for my GF to web, shes loves this model).
Im download from MintPCC G4 iso file and burn to CD-R.
the installation is OK, but before the end of the installation displays an error : GRUB Installation Failed.
Please, whats now? (iBook G4 with PowerPC G4).
Sorry for my bad english.
Thank u!

According to this article the Grub problem has been fixed.

Try the installation again and if Grub still fails to install you may want to consider downloading another lightweight Linux distro.

A quick search shows that your iBook was made between 2003 and discontinued around May of 2006.

I would try to install Anti-X since that iBook has a 1GHz PowerPC G4 CPU.
With 1.25 of RAM max and an expansion slot you could add another stick of RAM if you want to and than install Linux Mint XFCE. Otherwise stick with Anti-X.

H and thank u for answer, I downloaded ISO file from mintppc.nl for G4 architecture 32bit, this installation displays an error : GRUB Installation Failed.
I tried lubuntu 14.04. The Installation sucess, but did not load desktop, only black screen with mouse cursor after login.
You think Anti - X will work on this old laptop?

H and thank u for answer, I downloaded ISO file from mintppc.nl for G4 architecture 32bit, this installation displays an error : GRUB Installation Failed.
I tried lubuntu 14.04. The Installation sucess, but did not load desktop, only black screen with mouse cursor after login.
You think Anti - X will work on this old laptop?
Yes, I think Anti-X will work.
Anti-X was designed for older computers.

A black screen with mouse cursor could be a video driver issue.

And exist any Minimum ISO? Anti-X have more than 700mb :(. I have only CD-R with 700MB. I tried booting other linux from DvD and no boot. I tried 1hour ago install Lubuntu from CD and now done installation of Lubuntu 12.04 LTS and works, but laptop with this OS very slow and cooling runs at max (noisy). Slower then Mac OS 10.5

Lubuntu 12.04 is no longer supported.

Is there any chance that you have a usb memory stick handy?

Puppy Linux would be a good choice too.
Is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit?

I installed Puppy Linux on my friends Toshiba laptop and it ran well.

So far, looking at all of the lightweight Linux distro's it appears that Puppy Linux is the smallest in mb's to download.

Last edited:
I tried boot from USB, but laptop maybe no supported booting from USB. Im tried many hours and nothing.
Im looked for puppy linux yesterday and many people on forum says G4 processor not supported.
I have 32bit. I think 756mb RAM and 1.2GHz PowerPC G4

I tried boot from USB, but laptop maybe no supported booting from USB. Im tried many hours and nothing.
Im looked for puppy linux yesterday and many people on forum says G4 processor not supported.
I have 32bit. I think 756mb RAM and 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
I'll look for Linux .iso's under 700mb after I'm done cooking and having dinner.

If usb doesn't show in the BIOS than your right, usb is not supported.

Keeping in mind your 1.2GHz cpu and your 756mb of RAM on that machine these are the only 2 Linux distro's I think that will run on that iBook.

"Bodhi Linux" should work on your machine.
It's minimum requirements are a 32bit, 500MHz (Non-PAE) processor.

Download Bodhi Linux:

"Damm Small Linux" is another option.;)
The minimum requirements is a 486 processor and 8mb of RAM.

Download Damm Small Linux:

Cheers,
Alex

Bodhi linux looks fine, but ISO file size is 750mb and my CDs have 700mb. Im looking for older version and Bodhi 3.2.1 ISO file size is 540mb,this version I can burn it. When I install v3.2.1 I can then update to actual version after installation?

Bodhi linux looks fine, but ISO file size is 750mb and my CDs have 700mb. Im looking for older version and Bodhi 3.2.1 ISO file size is 540mb,this version I can burn it. When I install v3.2.1 I can then update to actual version after installation?
Yes you can update after installation.

Just keep an eye on the size of the update so that it doesn't take up the whole drive.

I tryed version 3.2.1. Nothing. and Tryed version 2.4.0. Nothing
No booting from cd.. IDK Why

I tryed version 3.2.1. Nothing. and Tryed version 2.4.0. Nothing
No booting from cd.. IDK Why
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble:-
Nothing? Just a black screen?

The cd won't boot?

The only other 2 distro's you can try is Damm Small Linux and Tiny Core.

Members online