Mint Police. Really?

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I was just watching a video on YT about a high speed chase in LA which was uploaded last year altough it's not clear when it actually happened. The narrator several times mentioned something called CHP and since I didn't know what that was, I had to Google for it. Then I decided to find out how many police forces are there in America. The number of police forces in USA is unbelievable, it's a lot more than I thought it was (and I've heard mentioned on tv shows and movies) but this police force I found on Wikipedia surprised me - Mint Police. Really? Like, what are they doing - monitoring who's using Linux Mint or not? Thank my goddess there isn't a Windows Police (yet). :D

No... The US Mint... Meaning the people who mint our currency. They're under the Secret Service, as memory serves - the same people in charge of protecting the presidency as well as ex-presidents.

We have a ton of cops and more people incarcerated than any other nation, as far as I know.

(Stating facts...)

While I'd LOVE to discuss that, it'd be way too darned political to even start that conversation.

I suspect this may get locked, 'cause there's really not that much more to discuss without actually delving into politics. It's a very political matter.

I was just watching a video on YT about a high speed chase in LA which was uploaded last year altough it's not clear when it actually happened. The narrator several times mentioned something called CHP and since I didn't know what that was, I had to Google for it. Then I decided to find out how many police forces are there in America. The number of police forces in USA is unbelievable, it's a lot more than I thought it was (and I've heard mentioned on tv shows and movies) but this police force I found on Wikipedia surprised me - Mint Police. Really? Like, what are they doing - monitoring who's using Linux Mint or not? Thank my goddess there isn't a Windows Police (yet). :D
there are cops everywhere around where i live, it has a lot to do with how "our country" has been global police for a long time.

I suspect this may get locked
If we stay away from politics, I doubt it will. I don't care about politics anyway.

It would never cross my mind this Mint police had anything to do with money. Mostly because money in my country is protected by a private security company. At least I think it's private. That's why when I saw that name, the first and only thing that came to mind was a Linux police. Which would be prefered. If there were a Windows Police, then the whole world would be experiencing "Cyberpunk 2077" in real time. :D

It would never cross my mind this Mint police had anything to do with money.

I don't think it matters what country does it, it's still called the mint - or 'minting money' and goes back for many, many years. The penalties are less grave than they once were, so there's that.

I'm hoping we can avoid politics, but other than learning it's the mint, where they mint money (a very common English expression), I'm not sure how much further we can go.

It's stands to reason that a sovereign nation would want to protect their currency from things like devaluation. So, they don't really like those that forge currency and prefer their currency is properly minted.

Also, as far as CHP goes, we used to have a TV show with CHiPs - California Highway Patrol (all states have such) but they were motorcycle riders. I think that show ended in the 70s? One of the people in it was Eric Estrada who shows up in various things (like Family Guy - and I think he did a voice in The Simpsons) and some other dude whose name I forget.

They were pretty popular and the show was around a reasonable amount of time, given the era.

I'm a little surprised that the phrase 'minting money' is unknown to you. BUT... I'm an English speaker first and foremost, so it's a commonly understood expression to me.

By the way, I am 100% certain you have something similar in your country. Someone has to be in charge of ensuring the currency is legitimate. Without that, you barely have a nation.

Never heard of that phrase, really. I thought it was called "forging money", just like "forging swords" since both are made of molten metal.

Edit: we do have people who make money and ensure its legitimacy but it's a bank, not police force. Bulgarian National Bank.

Never heard of that phrase, really. I thought it was called "forging money", just like "forging swords" since both are made of molten metal.

Edit: we do have people who make money and ensure its legitimacy but it's a bank, not police force. Bulgarian National Bank.
what KGIII and you are talking about is more commonly called "counterfeiting" in the US. I guess the charges are less severe because of inflation.

Edit: we do have people who make money and ensure its legitimacy but it's a bank, not police force.

In our case, the Mint makes the money. The Secret Service ensures it's real - or at least prosecutes cases of forgery.

Technically, the Mint isn't a government agency, but that's a long story - and it probably should be a government agency. In our case, there's the Federal Reserve who is not technically a 'federal' anything but they loan money to the government at the expense of interest and it gets really complicated from there on out.

But, technically it's a non-government agency that's in charge of this silliness. Federal Reserve, like 'reserve' as in bank, except it's not really a bank either. It just gets more complex from here on out.

Thank my goddess there isn't a Windows Police (yet). :D
Actually, the FBI can come after you if you distribute fake windows software. It probably has happened, yet it's not that common because windows wants people to pirate their software to a degree, it's somewhat expensive for all these agencies to come after anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe Windows or Microsoft wants users to pirate their software.

I know that most Windows software have a back doors.
they certainly don't want you to legally download linux though! Or at least the CEO doesn't...

How are they going to prevent someone from doing that.

I've downloaded plenty of open source software and non Windows software on my Windows 10 computers.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something.
They try to prevent people from pirating, but then there's market competition. Legal alternatives to windows would drive them out of business. Apple is probably their biggest threat, yet coding for enjoyment alone, and free downloads of an operating system, could even be worse.

Here's why I use Linux.

Look at the date of my computer. 2006

Code:
[pclinuxos@localhost ~]$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.18.16-pclos1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.1.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0
           Distro: PCLinuxOS 2022
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP Pavilion 061 product: RF170AV-ABA d4650y
           v: 0qm1114CT101BASSW00 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: Basswood v: 1.05 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 3.08
           date: 09/18/2006
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: 6
           cache: L2: 2 MiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 8533
           Speed: 1660 MHz min/max: 1600/2133 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1660 2: 1760
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display: server: PCLinuxOS 1.21.1.4 driver: loaded: nouveau,v4l
           resolution: 1024x768~75Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NV46 v: 2.1 Mesa 22.1.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel
           v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.18.16-pclos1 running: yes
           Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
           Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82562V 10/100 Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e
           v: kernel port: ff00 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
RAID:      Hardware-1: Intel SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci v: 3.0 bus-ID: 00:1f.2
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 7.23 GiB (6.5%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1200JD-00HBB0 size: 111.79 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 35.16 GiB used: 6.99 GiB (19.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 70.08 GiB used: 247.4 MiB (0.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 51.0 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 7h 18m Memory: 3.84 GiB used: 1.12 GiB (29.2%) Init: SysVinit
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 12.1.0 clang: 12.0.1 Packages: N/A note: see --pkg
           Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.06
[pclinuxos@localhost ~]$
yeah it's certainly easier to use older computers with linux...i only responded because you "said maybe i'm missing something"

Members online

Latest posts