Mint keeps disconnecting from wifi

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, wondering if someone can help, my Mint keeps disconnecting from the wifi, with the connection box showing that the password has been entered and I keep having to press connect. I've checked the connection settings and the boxes are ticked for making the connection available for other users, which is the only thing I could find on a search. What am I missing?

Could be a wrong or missing wi-fi driver, in the terminal run inxi -Nn and post back the result

Thanks for the response. I'll check, but if it was wrong or missing, then it wouldn't work at all?

These are the inxi -Nn results

Network:
Device-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 58:94:6b:a9:8e:f4
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: 60:eb:69:b2:6d:a2

The wi-fi drivers look fine to me, have you tried clearing the connection manager and reconnecting to the wi-fi

Hi I had the same problem I put on a fresh install and it worked for me may not work for you but maybe worth a try less you have important files on there and back them up first.

It is a fresh install, been on here a few weeks.

Today is the worst it's ever been, disconnecting every 10 mins or so, asking for authentication, which it already has.

Well it's still doing it, dropping out. So it's no good me running it as a server for some software. Maybe try another distro? Or the inevitable (back to windows!)

You could purchase a wifi dongle that works out of the box with Linux.

My old desktop didn't have an onboard wifi network intertace card so I had to buy a wifi adapter.
Installed the driver for it and after a reboot it worked.

I won't add dongles to it. The driver works with it, but for some reason Mint won't reconnect if the signal for some reason is dropped. It's all set to reconnect automatically.

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 20.3 on my old laptop with no problems but a few months ago I downloaded Cinnamon 21.1 and installed it on my Tower.

After a few days I couldn't connect to the net...never had this problem running Mint for 8 years...the problem was a bad ISO from the Mint download mirrors. I downloaded from another mirror on this page...https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=302
and it's been fine.
m1213.gif

I won't add dongles to it. The driver works with it, but for some reason Mint won't reconnect if the signal for some reason is dropped. It's all set to reconnect automatically.
Is the signal that weak that it is causing the connection to be dropped?

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 20.3 on my old laptop with no problems but a few months ago I downloaded Cinnamon 21.1 and installed it on my Tower.

After a few days I couldn't connect to the net...never had this problem running Mint for 8 years...the problem was a bad ISO from the Mint download mirrors. I downloaded from another mirror on this page...https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=302
and it's been fine.
m1213.gif
Did you verify the checksum after the download?

Did you verify the checksum after the download?

I always do...did this in Mint 19.1 said it was ok. This was before Mint changed the checksum tool in 21.1...in 8 years of using Mint Cinnamon I've never had a bad ISO but there's always a first time.
t3606.gif

The driver works with it, but for some reason Mint won't reconnect if the signal for some reason is dropped.

What happens if you disable the wireless yourself and then try to reconnect? Does it fail then, as well as when it happens due to other circumstances?

If so, you might be looking at a bug. I had, still have I guess - as I've not fixed it but haven't used it lately, a laptop like that. If I disconnect from the wirelessly tethered phone, I have to reboot to connect to it again. In fact, I sometimes have to delete the existing connection and reboot in order for it to connect again.

Mint came that way, so I haven't dug into it. I don't use the device regularly anyhow.

Has the driver for the wifi has been updated? The wifi drivers in my machines are commonly updated for each new kernel release, and I dutifully install them. YMMV.