Mint KDE

Reaction score
Credits
I have been using Linux Mint Cinnamon for quite a while and now I'm thinking to try KDE plasma for my Mint PC, which can be installed by
sudo apt install kde-full
which I got it from here. But the question is that can I completely remove cinnamon after installing KDE plasma, if I can remove it, how do I remove it. Also can I revert everything back to normal [like back to cinnamon before installing KDE] with a snapshot if in case anything goes wrong.:)

Before you do anything I recommend that you launch Timeshift and make a snapshot of your system.

If your original installation was Linux Mint Cinnamon I personally 'wouldn't remove it' as Cinnamon has a lot of libraries that are tied to the entire system.

Yeah you can install KDE and try it. See if you like it.
When you boot up you should have the option to choose Cinnamon or KDE Plasma.

Before you do anything I recommend that you launch Timeshift and make a snapshot of your system.

If your original installation was Linux Mint Cinnamon I personally 'wouldn't remove it' as Cinnamon has a lot of libraries that are tied to the entire system.

Yeah you can install KDE and try it. See if you like it.
When you boot up you should have the option to choose Cinnamon or KDE Plasma.
Also it doesn't affect any performace right[keeping both the desktop environments]? Cause my PC is really old (~10 yr old)

Also it doesn't affect any performace right[keeping both the desktop environments]?

No, it doesn't/won't Harshith.

The choice at login of either DE makes for a discrete session in itself that will only utilise resources that are specific to that DE - the other one not run is not in the background, or anything.

Also, if the situation remains similar to that which I last used a couple of years ago, your Mint will remember which DE was last used, and boot by default into that, so if you prefer the KDE, you should be able to just login on to it every time.

Wizard

No, it doesn't/won't Harshith.

The choice at login of either DE makes for a discrete session in itself that will only utilise resources that are specific to that DE - the other one not run is not in the background, or anything.

Also, if the situation remains similar to that which I last used a couple of years ago, your Mint will remember which DE was last used, and boot by default into that, so if you prefer the KDE, you should be able to just login on to it every time.

Wizard
Thak you very much, this issue was bothering me a lot.

Mint really dropped support for KDE a few years ago and you would be better off in my opinion to try KDE on one of the KDE/Plasma centric Distros like Kubuntu, KDE neon or MX-Linux which has a very good KDE version, ETC. Even if you install the KDE desktop on Mint you will not get the total KDE experience. There are some down sides to using KDE on the Cinnamon release DE. And Mint's own Admins suggest if you are going to do it you should use the XFCE version as the base. And then you can remove much of XFCE if you want. This blog may be of help to you.
Also what you end up with is a pretty much vanilla Kubuntu desktop. Good luck.
Here is Min't announcement from 2017 about why they dropped KDE from their lineup.
There was a great deal of discussion back then on the Mint Forums and even a grass roots effort to port KDE to mint by some of the members. But in the end it was dropped because what you basically end up with is another version of Kubuntu. And once to do that to your mint there was little support on the forum if you got in trouble.

Last edited:
Mint really dropped support for KDE a few years ago and you would be better off in my opinion to try KDE on one of the KDE/Plasma centric Distros like Kubuntu, KDE neon or MX-Linux which has a very good KDE version, ETC. Even if you install the KDE desktop on Mint you will not get the total KDE experience. There are some down sides to using KDE on the Cinnamon release DE. And Mint's own Admins suggest if you are going to do it you should use the XFCE version as the base. And then you can remove much of XFCE if you want. This blog may be of help to you.
Also what you end up with is a pretty much vanilla Kubuntu desktop. Good luck.
Here is Min't announcement from 2017 about why they dropped KDE from their lineup.

There was a great deal of discussion back then on the Mint Forums and even a grass roots effort to port KDE to mint by some of the members. But in the end it was dropped because what you basically end up with is another version of Kubuntu. And once to do that to your mint there was little support on the forum if you got in trouble.
yeah, as you said there were lot of bugs it was totally intolerable. I would rather use cinnamon maybe another distro like kde neon and elementary OS.

yeah, as you said there were lot of bugs it was totally intolerable. I would rather use cinnamon maybe another distro like kde neon and elementary OS.
I not going to lie their bugs in preety much every distro. it about know how to deal with them bugs and fix them. specially since must linux projects are community driven and in some cases made by one person

Latest posts