mint installer crashes

Ottmad

Reaction score
Credits
Tried to install mint over writing windows 10, 64 bit with live usb. Install went fine until grub install. Error message said grub installer crashed and grub can not be installed. Tried again with same results. Any suggestions?

Hi @Ottmad, and welcome! Yes, I think we have a pretty good idea. You can read the Release Notes on the Mint website for more details.

The solution is very likely that when installing... you do NOT allow it to connect to the Internet. After successful install, then you can connect and get updates as usual. Let us know if this works for you.

Cheers

Do not connect to the internet while trying to install Mint Tara 19 it still has problems associated with it - It is okay to install Mint 18.3 with the internet connection on as that doesn't seem to have the same problems

Yes, it was Mint Tara Cinnamon 19. I also tried to install it along side windows without connecting to the internet. It all seemed to install without a problem, but when I rebooted, grub didn't start and it booted right into windows even though the linux partition had been created.

But you didn't get any grub errors, right? If so, you can probably access Mint first by choosing your Boot Menu when your computer is starting up... usually ESC or one of the F-keys. Try that to see if Mint is available and loads up properly. We have another thread going with someone else who has the same problem, so I'll do a little research and see which way might be the best permanent fix for this.

The fellow in the other thread also just confirmed a simple fix that worked for him. So besides the Boot Menu option, you can try this too. When booting, hit the key necessary to get into your BIOS setup (also called UEFI setup). Dig around in there to find your Boot Options. If you see separate entries for Windows and Ubuntu (Mint is called Ubuntu at this level) then you can change the order to put Ubuntu on the top of the list, save the changes, and reboot. You may have to select "OS Boot Manager" to see the options I just described.

Thank you for your replies. I will check these fixes and I'll take a look at version 18.3.

The fellow in the other thread also just confirmed a simple fix that worked for him. So besides the Boot Menu option, you can try this too. When booting, hit the key necessary to get into your BIOS setup (also called UEFI setup). Dig around in there to find your Boot Options. If you see separate entries for Windows and Ubuntu (Mint is called Ubuntu at this level) then you can change the order to put Ubuntu on the top of the list, save the changes, and reboot. You may have to select "OS Boot Manager" to see the options I just described.
If you try this first then you should be able to get into Mint right away. If Tara installed then it will be there. You might be able to get there by just pressing F12 or whatever your boot menu is to get to it - you could also do as is said here and try the boot menu order and put it first or it will directly boot into Windows as that is what it thinks you want it to do.

Got 18.3. Tried to install it along side windows. Again grub didn't start. I checked the boot menu order and tried first windows boot. Not good. Next tried the hard drive, it started to try repair the disk. I started over and installed mint over windows and it worked. This is satisfying, gives me a chance to get completely familiar with mint and may keep it. Thank you very much everyone for your replies, they were very helpful.

Got 18.3. Tried to install it along side windows. Again grub didn't start. I checked the boot menu order and tried first windows boot. Not good. Next tried the hard drive, it started to try repair the disk. I started over and installed mint over windows and it worked. This is satisfying, gives me a chance to get completely familiar with mint and may keep it. Thank you very much everyone for your replies, they were very helpful.
So pleased you got it sorted :) and thanks for letting us know. Hope you enjoy MINT as much as I do :D:D

I started over and installed mint over windows and it worked.

Wow, did I read that right? Did you blow away Windows and now have Mint as the sole system?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, discarded Wndows DVDs, thinks they may attract birds hanging from a tree)

Hi @Ottmad and welcome to linux.org :)

First thing you should do if you have not already done so, is to make your way to Terminal (Crtrl-Alt-t or search Menu), and type in and enter the following

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You will be prompted for your password, Enter it (there will be no movement, security) and press Enter. You will be rewarded with output saying that your Uncomplicated FireWall (UFW) is enabled (in real time) and that a small script will run at each boot and reboot to continue same.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder :D

Wow, did I read that right? Did you blow away Windows and now have Mint as the sole system?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, discarded Wndows DVDs, thinks they may attract birds hanging from a tree)

Hi @Ottmad and welcome to linux.org :)

First thing you should do if you have not already done so, is to make your way to Terminal (Crtrl-Alt-t or search Menu), and type in and enter the following

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You will be prompted for your password, Enter it (there will be no movement, security) and press Enter. You will be rewarded with output saying that your Uncomplicated FireWall (UFW) is enabled (in real time) and that a small script will run at each boot and reboot to continue same.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz - that's DownUnder :D
You don't really need to do that now. All you need to do is to go to Applications and a find firewall configuration and click on it then when the pop up box appears put in your password and then when the FW appears just turn it on there and exit. It is easier this way for those not used to using the terminal as many who come across from windows aren't and it is the way I do - it's just a one off thing to do. Nowt wrong with your way, just suggesting this as an alternative

Wizardfromoz...I didn't answer your question. No it's not my sole computer. I also have a older desktop which has Windows 8.1, but I haven't done much with it in days and have been working with Mint the last few days.

I also have a older desktop which has Windows 8.1, but I haven't done much with it in days

Let those days roll into weeks and months :D:D:rolleyes: - I could not stomach that Metro Tiles look.

and have been working with Mint the last few days.

Same again (weeks and months) - I believe you will enjoy the change.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online