Mint Installation Time

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
@wizardfromoz @Condobloke @Nik-Ken-Bah @captain-sensible @KGIII @f33dm3bits @JasKinasis @Nelson Muntz @stan @Alexzee
Greetings everyone,
Please excuse this old man for being extremely excited about a recent encounter with Linux Mint.
I downloaded LM 20.1 Mate 64 a few days ago and used Balena Etcher to burn it onto a flash drive. Nothing unusual here.
This morning I decided to install it on my ASUS Laptop, to replace a couple of other OS's.
What a joy it turned out to be.
I decided to write down the exact time it took to install LM 20.1 Mate 64.
This is where the excitement really took off with me.
Time to do a full installation including external multi-media codecs - 16 minutes!
Once installed I did the complete initial updates.
Time to install updates - 10 minutes!
That's 26 minutes from start of install to having a completely usable operating system ready to use.
Simply amazing!!!

By comparison, a few days ago I did a 're-set' on an HP laptop with Windows 10 installed.
Time for the 're-set' - about 2 hours!

Now you can readily see why I am an excited Old Geezer who promotes Linux wherever anyone will listen.
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie
Long live Linux!! Hip Hip hooray.

Well done Charlie!

After reading that, some people will realise why I suggest installing 20.1 over any of the 19 versions

It is a joy to use...few little minor hiccups here and there, but nothing of any consequence.

Life really can be simple if you give it a chance. ;)

Hey Tango Charlie,
Greetings straight back at ya! It's great to see that an old guy like yourself has learned how to work with Linux and is now promoting it to those who are interested in hearing about Linux. It shows that being able to learn Linux and technology isn't restricted only to younger people or computer geeks but anyone who is willing to learn. I've seen plenty of people around here on the forums who don't even try when it comes to Linux and I know from another topic that you are learning C as well. So hats off to you @70 Tango Charlie!! Keep Learning and having fun with Linux!!

That sounds about right. Even in a VM, doing installation tests of Lubuntu, it doesn't take long - and the VM only has 8 GB of RAM dedicated to it. I'd say that 15 minutes is about the norm - for the whole thing. It is slightly faster because I've installed so many times that I don't have to stop and think about anything during the installation.

Modern hardware is pretty awesome.

I remember reading once about how bloated Windows is. Might have been @Condobloke who mentioned it.
Anyhow, from first-hand experience I can now attest to that fact - it really is bloated, full of junk and stuff the average user would never use.
It took me longer to get rid of the junk on Win 10 than it did to do the full install of LM!
@f33dm3bits I decided when I was about 15 years old that I would never retire. Glad I have not retired. There is so much to learn and do that I think the grave is the only thing that will stop me; and I realize that one of these days it will intervene and I will go the way of all flesh.
BTW How's the weather up in Maine? @KGIII Here in Michigan we have had strange weather this winter. No snow until Feb. Then lots of snow and very cold until this week. It was 50 degrees yesterday. 43 this morning.
Linux is fun, and you own whatever you do on your computer! That's real freedom.
OG TC

BTW How's the weather up in Maine?

It has been a bizarre winter. My normal snow accumulation for a season is an average of just over 12'. I've had a total snow fall of less than 1/4 of that, and what is on the ground keeps melting. It rained throughout much of the season, as it was too warm to snow. At this moment in time, it's about 40° and lightly raining.

It only stands to reason. Before the season began, I bought a brand new RAM 3500, outfitted it with a brand new plow, and added a new broadcast sander. I've barely had an excuse to use it. I haven't even needed to use the tractor this year - not once.

The climate has been changing. No snow until February seems like that'd be unusual for most anywhere in Michigan. I'm a solid fan of snow, so it's a bit disappointing. Yes, when I retired I intentionally moved to an area with a healthy average snowfall.

Charlie's success under a Linux environment is something I always find inspirational.

Very much the most of his achievements are self-earned, fuelled by a thirst for learning and bettering himself, but I still can't help but take a vicarious pleasure and bask in the reflected glory of how he has found this site and community for satisfying some of that thirst. :)

We can't be with him perhaps other than in a cybernetic fashion, but Charlie, if you are ever at the computer and feel a tingle across your upper back, that is me behind you putting my arm across your back and giving it a friendly squeeze.

More power to you, my Michigan friend.

Wizard

@wizardfromoz
You are so right about what I have learned here at Linux.org. This site is my biggest single source of information on the subject of Linux of any place.
I have learned so much from all you guys - some times when you are answering someone's questions that I read about. I love pasting some of the commands I see into my terminal and see what comes up. If it strikes me correctly I will save it in my cli file for future reference.
Thanks for being a friend; and that goes for all the rest of you guys too.
OG TC

26 minutes is fantastic 70 Tango Charlie!

Your message is motivational and inspiring which is great for n00b's, other members and guest's that visit our forum.

I've been running Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE for a while now and it runs flawlessly:-

Close to Mint time on my HP laptop. About 20 min on another HP Laptop with MX Linux replacing Win10. Same around 20 min mark on a Dell touchscreen tablet/laptop with Peppermint. And an Alienware 11.5 inch laptop also with Peppermint.

Just replaced a Desktop with a new one, Just to get it running out of the box with first boot and setup took a hour with Win10. Not even an install just setting it up. Of course on the Start menu is Candy Crush :mad: and other crap not needed on a desktop. Also I have set it to no password needed asI am the only user. The next day it changes back. My Tracball Cursor no longer does smart move. Or with Logitech drivers no longer snaps to, all the time. Sad.

@70 Tango Charlie
Well done. I use the Cinnamon desktop as I like it. Been a slacker of late due to needing to do some serious reading and then putting my thoughts down to winnow and clarify them as they are completely outside the box and the sphere that it is enclosed in.
As I need to get in and learn G-parted hands -on, so that I can install a couple of other distros and the Debian based Mint distro to learn its peculiarities.
2 Hours to reset VIN10 thank Biamee that I dodge that farce and become a Penguin.
But I noticed how fast Mint loaded up when I ditched Vindows but due to an issue involving my ISP and the requirement to obtain and set-up the router I was unable to do the updates on installation of Mint so my total installation process took a while but that is now set in the concrete of time.

that is awesome! Mint is a nice distribution indeed and it is always makes me happy to see people enjoying themselves with Linux and taking an interest in Linux :) I share the same view as you my friend Long Live Linux!!!

Close to Mint time on my HP laptop. About 20 min on another HP Laptop with MX Linux replacing Win10. Same around 20 min mark on a Dell touchscreen tablet/laptop with Peppermint. And an Alienware 11.5 inch laptop also with Peppermint.

Just replaced a Desktop with a new one, Just to get it running out of the box with first boot and setup took a hour with Win10. Not even an install just setting it up. Of course on the Start menu is Candy Crush :mad: and other crap not needed on a desktop. Also I have set it to no password needed asI am the only user. The next day it changes back. My Tracball Cursor no longer does smart move. Or with Logitech drivers no longer snaps to, all the time. Sad.
I hear ya! Since I started using linux a few years ago,my computer does what I want it to without ever having to reset stuff after every update.Any glitches I encounter are mostly self inflicted.The last few LTS versions of Mint (and Ubuntu,mostly) are so smooth it is amazing.Go Linux!!

Great job Charlie,
I find Mint to be one of the best and easiest Distros to setup. Enjoy the Freedom!

It takes about 15 minutes to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 and a little longer to install the Updates...Printer/Scanner...Software...Settings...Virtualbox/VMs...Browsers and all your Web Sites + Add-ons.
So it's a good idea after doing the above, create an Image of the Drive and storing it on an External HDD.

Should anything happen like HDD/SSD failure or Human error, you don't have to Re-Install everything from scratch and nothing is lost. :)

Re-Install everything from scratch and nothing is lost

I save My stuff so with Linux OS's I use a hd crash ain't no big thing. I use VM to Distro hop. But have pretty much settled on Mint on 1 laptop. Win10 / Mint dual on the new PC I just built. Peppermint on 2 other laptops. And MX Linux replaced Win10 on a new HP laptop. And a franken build HP slim laptop board in a mini tower that W10 crashed on, after almost 2 years.

W10 crash is too much time. I have Pro on a DVD and USB from an Alienware small laptop I got off a guy at work who just replaced the Screen and drive. Got verified W10 Pro also, then sold it to me for 100 bucks. Got Pro running on my Dual Boot. Booting from an M.2 PCI-E less than 10 seconds. Mint boots off SSD. Running M.2 for Win OS, 1 SSD for Mint, 2 SSD's for data and a USB SSD for more extra. Funny how Win sees all but the Linux SSD, yet Mint sees all the drives.

Members online

Latest posts