Mint 19.2 MATE on Compaq PC

Ok, thanks for that. Also, I am going through the welcome the set up wizard on the welcome window and the first thing I want to know about is Snapshot type. To me it sounds like t hey are saying RSYNC snapshots are better than the DTRFS. Because you can save them to something else and it’s not saved to the thing that will crash if it ever crashes. Set sound right?

If you get on the internet.... don't forget the firewall. We're gonna start teaching you some "Linux commands". Don't be afraid! :D

Open a terminal by hitting CTRL-ALT-T. When that is open, type in exactly:
Code:
sudo ufw enable

It will ask for you password, so type that in, and hit enter. It should give some report about being enabled, or we can test with another command:
Code:
sudo ufw status

We will soon call you, "Granny the Geek!" :D:D:D
I will consider that an honor.

Ok, thanks for that. Also, I am going through the welcome the set up wizard on the welcome window and the first thing I want to know about is Snapshot type. To me it sounds like t hey are saying RSYNC snapshots are better than the DTRFS. Because you can save them to something else and it’s not saved to the thing that will crash if it ever crashes. Set sound right?
Yes, choose Rsync. My good friend @wizardfromoz can fill you in better on the workings of Timeshift and the use of snapshots. For now, just get up and running.

How is the speed? With 2 GB of RAM, it may be okay, or it may be sluggish sometimes.

So far the speed is excellent compared what I’m used to

I will consider that an honor.
I’m going to set up the firewall before I try connecting the little repeater. So I’m going to follow your instructions above

So far the speed is excellent compared what I’m used to
Vista was never very well loved... Win 7 was much improved. But all Windows seems to get slower and slower over time. Linux is far better about that. If it's running pretty good now, it will likely continue to run pretty well for you. No need to "defrag".... no need for a "registry cleaner".... Linux doesn't have a "registry."

Looking ahead.... Linux Mint still makes a 32-bit version. So if you like this edition of MATE, you can download and install the (almost) exact same product on your laptop. The process will be the same too. After doing this a few times, you'll see how easy it is... I hope! (Famous last words! Ha ha)

Why can’t I set up the firewall in the welcome window which has a firewall component and it looks like it’ll do everything I need

Why can’t I set up the firewall in the welcome window which has a firewall component and it looks like it’ll do everything I need
You can! I never scroll down in that window to see the firewall option! o_O If you click on it, it opens up, and you click the Status button to activate it.

But don't run and hide.... we will still teach you Linux commands! :p:D

I know I need to learn commands. ( hanging head in shame ) I’ve always disliked command lines but I know they’re incredibly wonderful. That comes from being such a end-user and not an inside user, as it were. Anyway I have my firewall set up so I’m going to connect my little repeater and see if it works, this is going to take a few minutes.

Hey @Granny Sue! This is probably about a good place to call this thread complete... since you now have Linux Mate 19.2 installed on the Compaq. We try to keep each thread focused on a specific issue or problem so that folks searching in the future may hit on a good thread to help if they have a similar issue. And it's good not to let the threads run too long.

Of course, this isn't a "cast in stone" type of rule. We certainly get off-topic at times, or dive down different paths from intended... sometimes just chattering away and having fun in the process. But it does help to stay focused when we can, and everyone can follow along better, and it makes it easier for others to jump in at any point and help contribute as well.

Well, as I type this, I see you have read my mind, or something, and have posted a new thread about networking with Linux Mint. You catch on quick! :D

Cheers

I try.... catch you on the other side.

Congratulations @Granny Sue and welcome to the world of Linux mint. :):cool:

Members online